I have chronic hamstring issues that cause me a lot of pain. Does anyone have any coping tips? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have chronic hamstring issues that cause me a lot of pain. Does anyone have any coping tips?

rick2542
rick2542 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Thanks for having me! I know that soon my walking will be over, my legs are very weak. I have chronic hamstring issues that REALLY hurt while sitting. But a wheelchair will be in my future. Does anyone have this problem and how do you cope? Not light pain but excruciating at times. Enough of me, thanks for having me, and best wishes for all!

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    Hi @rick2542, and welcome to the community! 

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing lots of pain. I've moved your post into the Dealing with Chronic Pain category so that other members will find it easier to see and respond to your post, and potentially give you some tips. I think you might also find it helpful to head over to the Physical Impairments and Mobility Issues board, as you might be able to find some advice on using a wheelchair in the future.

Feel free to vent, we're here to listen and support you as much as we can :) How has your day been? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • rick2542
    rick2542 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @rick2542 Welcome to the community glad you have joined us. I dont have any answers regarding pain but I am a wheelchair user after losing my leg

If like yourself you have warning you may end up in a wheelchair I suggest you do all you can now to build up your upper body strength which will help with self propelling and being able to transfer from the wheelchair. I also managed to do stairs on my bum pushing up with my arms.

Speak to a good physio who could make suggestions 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @rick2542 - & welcome to the community. Reading through your post, I was going to suggest physiotherapy, then saw Jane had already done so. Perhaps ask your GP for a referral to a physio, as they could advise on your hamstring problem too. Thank you for your kind wishes.  :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @rick2542! How are you feeling today? I'm sorry to hear you have been in a lot of pain.

Here is a piece about managing pain during isolation which you might find helpful. :)
    Scope

• Zero
    Zero Community member Posts: 2 Listener

Same problem. I am completely immobilised by hamstring pain (Baclofen made it so much more painful and left me with chronic Tinnitus).

The only thing I have found that offers any relief is (you guessed it) stretching. I’m fortunate enough to have my own cross-trainer and walking on that for about an hour every day gives my hamstrings a stretch so at least I can potter around my house pain and stick free for a few hours.

I had a hamstring release as a child, I’m assuming you had the same. I wish there was some longer-term follow-up after these orthopaedic surgeons have had their knives and forks out.

Really, if you can manage a cross-trainer, it could really help you. Good luck.

First post, thanks for having me.
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    edited April 2021
    Hello @Zero and welcome to the community! It's good to have you with us. :)

I can see that you've not wasted any time and you've already starting responding to some of the posts from our members. Thank you for your contribution and it's great that you're so keen to get involved in the chat. 

I just wanted to say that it looks like there hasn't been too much activity on this discussion for a while, so it's possible that you might not get too many responses from some of the original posters on this particular thread. So, what you might want to try instead is start a new post for us and pop that into our Welcomes and introductions section? That way our members can spot your 'first' post a bit more easily and we can all offer you a proper community welcome. :)

Feel free to give us a shout if you have any questions at all and I look forward to chatting with you some more!

p.s. Also, sorry to hear about your hamstring issue, but well done on the cross-trainer work. That's a really good tip for our members, thank you. 
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Pixie51
    Pixie51 Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
    Hi there and welcome!
    I am unsure how your mobility is but completely agree with the stretching. There are many yoga stretches which are wonderful for the hamstrings and a good teacher would be able to give you alternatives depending on your own bodies ability. Even yogic breathing can help. It can relax you and help relax tense muscles reducing pain a little. Please do get advice from your GP or consultant though if you are thinking of doing any new exercise. Really hope you find something to help you

Pixie ?

Yoga heals the soul ??

Brightness