PIP outcome — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP outcome

mtag
mtag Community member Posts: 20 Connected
edited August 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all 

hope everyone is well.

i got my pip outcome and seems like they play everything down and say stuff you haven’t said .

It says they owe me from the 20th August but the letter is dated 3rd of August so shouldn’t it go from the date of the letter as this is obviously the date of the decision ?

im elgigible for standard living rate but to be honest wasn’t expecting anything so it’s good.

things they dumbed down was saying I use an appliance to get in and out the bath , this was wrong as I have no appliance so many partner helps me out so this is down a point , managing my therapies they said no more than 3.5 hours a week but in fact it’s an hour in the morning and again at a night time everyday . They said I could dress and put jeans on but I physically can’t which I said as I have to lay down and my partner help to get jeans on and off.
they said I walk to my car to get in it .... it’s on a driveway on my step that one made me laugh as well as I am able to walk to the gp from outside but I drive to the gp car park then they said I can walk to the consulting room from waiting room which is less then 10m.

in two minds to appeal or not as wasn’t expecting anything but feel annoyed about the lies.

peoples thoughts ?

thanks

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    Hi @mtag

I'm sorry you feel like the PIP report was inaccurate.  It's really frustrating when you don't feel like you have been heard or understood.

The citizens advice website has brilliant advice about going ahead with a mandatory reconsideration here https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/appeals/mandatory-reconsideration/  

Based on other member's experience, many people go on to have decisions overturned in their favour at the tribunal stage that comes after MR.  However, one thing to note about asking for a MR is:

The DWP can look at your whole award again if you seek a mandatory reconsideration. You should consider whether you risk losing your current award - for example, if you've got evidence to support a daily living component but might lose your mobility award because you can now move about better.
    Let us know how you get on.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mtag - I'm pleased you got a PIP award, but sorry about the 'inaccuracies,' which we hear about all the time, & I had the same. If you haven't seen the PIP 'descriptors' before, I would suggest having at look at them to see if you might gain sufficient points to be awarded the enhanced rate for daily living, or sufficient to get an award for the mobility component. Please see: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Scores-for-PIP-Descriptors-2020.pdf      this may hep you decide if you want to take this further.
    Just to add, your award will either stay the same, or increase in one or both components if you decide to go for a Mandatory Reconsideration, & think you could gain those extra points. Please do let us know what you decide, as people here will be able too advise about how best to do that. :)

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome in regards to your payment this should be backdated to the time you applied and not when the decision was made does the date say 2020 ?

The 20th will be the date you will receive your first PIP payment as it is paid in arrears you should get a seperate payment for any back pay owed
  • mtag
    Thanks for the reply @Cher_Scope
    I will most likely leave it as I’ve always put off applying for PIP but my family and friends pushed me to do so saying nothing wrong in seeing if I’m entitled to help.
    its more than I have been getting and wasn’t expecting , I just get my back up over lies in general . 
    I’m grateful as there are so many people worse off than myself that have to fight harder to get what they are entitled to.
    its just really sad that people have to fight so hard for what they are entitled to and it’s made harder by “professionals” taking things out of context , adding things that wasn’t said and the professionals generally won’t even have the profession / experience with individuals condition they are general health professionals but you wouldn’t go to a dentist for back ache etc
    To say they are unbiased is so wrong as they are encouraged to mark down. 
    Sorry that turned into a rant ha

• mtag
    Hi @janer1967

my dad pointed it out to me . Have to admit all this goes over my head as always had the mindset I’m lucky enough to able to work so why apply.
    so your right that’s when the payment starts taking effect but no mention of back payment . 
    Soon see by keeping an eye on my bank .

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

The decision letter should have stated what backdated money is owed, if there was anything. Did you transfer from DLA to PIP?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    When did you first apply 

Your award letter normally details the amount back pay you are entitled to and then your monthly PIP payment 

People often get their back pay b4 they get the letter 

If in any doubt ring PIP if you think you are owed back pay 
  • mtag
    Hi @poppy123456
    new claim as I’ve never claimed before.
    i started the claim in March sent the forms off had a phone call to say they had been received but back logged with consultancy stage due to covid.
    had a telephone consultant on the 22/7/20 then had this letter today dated 03/08/2020.
  • janer1967
    You should be backdated to march then 
  • mtag
    @janer1967
    backdated to all the way back in March ?! thought it may have been at the most the telephone call with the consultant .
    like I said there was no mention of it on the letter so I’ll wait and see and chase it must admit feel like I’m being cheeky and grabbing , ive never claimed before just something to get used to .
    thanks for replying it’s appreciated 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Providing you had those conditions for at least 3 months then yes it will be backdated.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    You are not being cheeky it is what you are entitled to 
  • mtag
    @poppy123456
    always been the way I am it’s just getting worse , getting old ha.
    had two ops in the space of 18 months having to take 11 months off work.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.