My child wears splints on both feet, and has flat feet. Where can I buy reasonably priced shoes? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My child wears splints on both feet, and has flat feet. Where can I buy reasonably priced shoes?

Franny0987
Franny0987 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
hello i am a parent to a child that wears splints on both feet. i am finding it hard to find shoes that are deep enough but not to expensive. he has flat flat also, so its hard to get his feet to fit into any normal shoes. can you suggest anything or help

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Franny0987! Welcome to the community :)

Just so you know, I've moved your post into the Parents and Carers category of the site, as I imagine that other parents will have had the same problem and will find it easier to see your post over there. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Franny0987 Welcome to the community

There is a great group on face book called Jo's Odd Shoes

They collect shoes from other members and also from suppliers and pass them on free of charge apart from postage

You can get single shoes, double odds etc postage is only £4 per package, all shoes are new just donated
  • colet
    colet CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 101 Pioneering
    Hi @Franny0987

I wear splints as well. fiind the same situation 

i wear boots because they stay on better and you titan then they stay on 
    also trainers 

I hope this is useful for you 

please ask if you want anymore information as I have worn them nearly all my life 
  • colet
    colet CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 101 Pioneering
    Hi @Franny0987

I wear splints as well. fiind the same situation 

i wear boots because they stay on better and you titan then they stay on 

also trainers

anything that goes up the ankle a bit stay on better

check chairty shops 

I hope this is useful for you 

please ask if you want anymore information as I have worn them nearly all my life 
  • Franny0987
    Franny0987 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi Colet ,

Thank you for replying. I still  struggle with boots to as his feet at top are wide to. That is why i struggle to get his feet in shoes.His toes go in but when it comes to top off his foot, it does not go in

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Franny0987 and welcome to the community!

I have worn AFO splints for most of my life so can certainly relate to 'joys' of shoe shopping. I have always needed one or two sizes bigger than my shoe size.

Taking the sole of the shoe out can really help make more room. I also found that boys shoes were easier as they sometimes has shoes that open up more, are more sturdy and can be wider. Trainers also are the easiest to fit. I’ve found the best style / design are high top Velcro trainers

For boots, I always went for a design that had both laces and a zip as this meant the shoe could be opened up more.

There is a website that you can get adapted shoes for splints, I have never used them myself but I know others who have: https://billyfootwear.com/

I hope this helps and please do keep us updated on the shoe hunt!
    Scope

Brightness