Flat Viewing — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Flat Viewing

Options
uk71
uk71 Community member Posts: 63 Connected
I am trying to view flats. But I am coming up against new letting agent covid-19 rules that state that only one person at a time from different households can view a flat. But because I have  learning difficulties I need my support worker to accompany me to view a flat and to be present so that he can prompt me to ask questions or ask the questions that I forgot to ask. How do I deal with  this matter?

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    Options
    @uk71 said ...so that he can prompt me to ask questions or ask the questions that I forgot to ask. How do I deal with  this matter?
    You could try having a checklist drawn up by you and your support worker with questions on and which you carry into the flat whilst he waits outside? Some questions may not apply but you can ask them anyway and you’ll be told by the agent if they aren’t relevant. 
    Not a perfect solution because you need between you to come up with a comprehensive list of questions prior to a visit, but it may help.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• uk71
    Options
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    Options
    You’re very welcome @uk71
    good luck with the flat viewing! ?

as an an afterthought I wonder whether it might be okay if you view the flat and then your support worker views it too, separately. That way your support worker could ask questions you might not have. Just a thought.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @uk71

Hope you're doing well today :) 

I went through the process of looking for a place to rent quite recently. I'm registered severely sight impaired and use a cane, so like you I do benefit from having somebody with me to point out any visual issues with the property that I might miss, and to help with navigation. 

I was lucky that I'm going through lockdown with the person I'll be living with, however a couple of the letting agencies had a policy of only letting one person in at a time, but when I explained to them that I need somebody to go in with me, they were generally accommodating enough to allow both of us in. 

I would advise explaining to any letting agency that you need somebody with you for the reasons you've outlined, and as long as you and your support worker take any appropriate measures like wearing face masks or sanitising, the letting agency might be fine with that.

On a general note, as @leeCal said above it's always a great idea to have a list of questions drafted up before viewing a property. Whoever is showing you around won't mind at all if you, or your support worker, need to take a minute or two to have a look through your list to see if any relevant questions need asking.

Best of luck with the flat hunt, I hope you find a place you can happily call home :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome I have come across this situation in another post and yes it is difficult to get over the restrictions.

All the ideas above may provide a solution, I hope you find something suitable keep us updated
  • uk71
    Options
    Thank you @leeCal, Ross_Scope and janer1967 all for your advice and support. Yes Ross_Scope I shall try to explain to subsequent letting agents my situation and see whether they will be accommodating.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    One benefit of the current situation is that there are now a lot of 'virtual' viewings so you can see what it's like before even leaving your house.  Some are just videos but I've seen a few that are full VR, like Google Streetview but indoors!

I'm still yet to get to a real viewing stage myself but I must admit I'm a bit apprehensive...
  • uk71
    Options
    Yes I have been trying to find suitable alternative accommodation since January and have only had one viewing in seven months. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hopefully now viewings are going ahead you may get some more 
  • uk71
    Options

Brightness