Free tax disc — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Free tax disc

Vannessa
Vannessa Community member Posts: 14 Listener
edited August 2020 in Transport and travel
Hi there to everyone can I ask for help with free tax disc in our own car having trouble it's been a few years since needing to do this as we have had Motability before now we have our own having issues with disc now been told need to show my disability certificate usually my award entitlement has always been ok now I need to have a disability certificate can someone tell us wot it is and where would I be able to get one please as we have now had to pay out of our own pocket to get car taxed 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Your question was answered on your other thread here https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/72820/disability-certificate#latest

You need to ring DWP and ask them to send you the certificate for the free disabled road tax. You will only receive this if you're claiming Enhanced mobility PIP, is that what you're claiming?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Vannessa
    Thankyou yes I have been awarded the enhanced rate on PIP after being changed from dla thanku will try this 
  • poppy123456
    It should have been sent with your PIP decision letter and will be a certificate with a number on it, it's on a separate page to your PIP award.

When you ring PIP as them to send you the certificate of entitlement for the road tax exemption.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Vannessa
    Great thanks so much glad u joined this group as getting nowhere with help thanks 
  • poppy123456
    You say you've been awarded Enhanced rate PIP but there's 2 parts to PIP, daily living and mobility. The free road tax is only with the Enhanced mobility part, not with Enhanced daily living.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Vannessa! I hope the advice above has been helpful. 

Here is further clarification which might help:

You can apply for exemption from paying vehicle tax if you get the:

The vehicle must be registered in the disabled person’s name or their nominated driver’s name.

You can get a 50% reduction in vehicle tax if you get the PIP standard rate mobility component.

The vehicle should be registered in the disabled person’s name or their nominated driver’s name.

Scope

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community glad you have joined and hope the info helps for you to apply for your tax

Brightness