mental shut down — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

mental shut down

pocpoc
pocpoc Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Not sure where to start,had depression most my life im 37 now ,recently hit rock bottem in the process of swopping onto new meds at the mo ,emotional wreck for last 5 days. Lost my mother 18 months ago and i didnt deal with it very well at all ended up turning to drugs was in a very dark place. im slowly climbing my way back up while losing the people i love so not easy...
Certain professionals have made me feel like a proper down and out but they dont seem to understand my brain controls me .i dont control my brain

Comments

• Wini1960
    Wini1960 Community member Posts: 130 Pioneering
    Hi@pocpoc I feel for you it's hard when your in a dark place. May I ask what meds are you on? Were the meds before not working. What helped me was counselling and meds. Have you been for bereavement counselling. It sounds to me that you are still grieving and need help to help you through the various stages of grief. Let me know how you get on. All the best.?
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @pocpoc

I'm sorry to hear that you've been going through a difficult period of time, it must be hard. 

You mentioned there that you have struggled following the loss of your mother, which is completely understandable, I'm sorry for your loss. As mentioned above, you might consider seeking support to help coping with your bereavement.  

Furthermore, Mind have some information you might find useful for treating depression.

If you have been let down by your health professionals, I would advise requesting to be referred to a new one, a fresh pair of ears might provide the breakthrough you deserve.

This community is always here for you and your thoughts and feelings will always be valued and treat with the importance they deserve. If there's anything else we can advise or help with, please don't hesitate to post.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @pocpoc, I'm really glad you've found us. If there is anything else we can do to help then please do let us know. :)
    Scope

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @pocpoc Welcome to the community, I am sorry to hear about your loss losing a parent is very hard.

You may need time for your new meds to settle and your body to become adjusted to them. I also agree you may benefit from some bereavement counselling

Do you have any support with your drug problem even though it sounds like you are doing a great job getting yourself back on track. You say you have lost people you love do they know you are getting your life back on track
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @pocpoc, just wanted to check in to see how things are today. :)
    Scope

Brightness