Career Allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Career Allowance

james19o6
james19o6 Community member Posts: 158 Courageous
Hello Guys
My Mother has been awarded PIP last month. And my father is looking after her. My dad contacted the universal credit and have seen that there is also a online application for the career allowance. On Universal they stated that he can receive £162.00 a month and career allowance states £68.00 a week (if i am not wrong). Could someone explain this please if he get automatically both or what does he have to do?

Many Thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,348 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    HI,

When claiming carers allowance and UC at the same time there's no financial gain to this because the carers allowance is always deducted £1 for £1 from any UC entitlement. Unless they're living in Scotland and then he will receive a carers allowance supplement payment twice a year.

As UC is paid weekly and UC is paid monthly if claiming carers allowance as well as UC then they deduct £291 per month from the UC entitement. Carers allowance then pays the person caring separately. Carers Allowance is £67.25 per week and can be paid weekly or 4 weekly. It also pays class 1 NI credits where as UC pays class 3.

He can claim the carers element of UC without having to claim the carers allowance.

If he want's to claim the carers allowance as well then he'll need to claim this and online is the quickest way to claim.

To also add to the above, to claim carers allowance he mustn't earn more than £128 per week after deductions.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • james19o6
    Thank you very much @poppy123456, this has cleared me and i will forward this to him. So as a result, claiming just the UC careers allowance is better 162 a month. As you can claim both but they will deduct some money from their entilements. Or is it better just to claim Career allowance online and not the UC Career Allowance? As the online format pays higher amount?
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome.

The £162 per month is called Carers element and to claim this he needs to report a change on his journal.

Carers allowance doesn't have to be claimed to get the carers element. If he does claim it then it will be deducted in full from their UC entitlement. Yes it's a higher amount but as advised, unless they're living in Scotland there's no financial gain to claiming it, other than it's can be paid weekly which may help the budgeting because UC is paid monthly and some find it very difficult to manage a single monthly payment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • james19o6
    Great i will then advise him just to claim the career element as it better off than the career allowance. 
    Many thanks again
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @james19o6

Just to clarify, whether he claims just Carer Element of Universal Credit or Carer's Allowance and the Carer Element of UC, he'll receive the same amount overall.

If he just claims it from UC, his UC will go up £162 a month. 

If he claims it from Carer's Allowance and from UC, it just means his money will come from two different places. He'll still be £162 a month better off overall. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • james19o6
    edited August 2020
    Thank you Guys,
    I just have a question as my mum was awarded pip last month July 2020, but my dad was caring for her since November 2019. Would they be able to get a Backdated pay from career element or career allowance? 
    Just to add she applied for pip in march 2020 and was awarded in july 2020.
    Many thanks
  • poppy123456
    edited August 2020
    Neither the carers element or carers allowance will be backdated to before start of the PIP award (March) because no qualifying benefit was being claimed at that time.

If the carers allowance is claimed from the start of the PIP award and UC was being claimed at the time then any backdated money received from carers allowance will mean they will have an overpayment of UC because as advised the carers allowance is deducted £1 for £1 from the UC entitlement. There's no financial benefit to claiming carers allowance and UC at the same time, as previously advised.

Carers element can be backdated but if he didn't report being her carer from the start of the PIP claim then it can be very difficult to get this element backdated but he can certainly try.

• james19o6
    Hello guys
    So my dad has got his carer element verified last week. But this morning he received a call from Universal Credit. They asked him when my mum started her pip claim and since when he is caring for her. And then she said that she will send this all to the decision makers which can take up to 2 weeks? Can anyone tell me or advice what this means?
  • poppy123456
    The carers element can be backdated to the start of the PIP award, as advised previously but it's never easy to get this. This is most likely what the phone call was about but a decision maker will decide whether it can or can't be backdated.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited September 2020
    Hi @james19o6. Glad to hear they've verified the carer element of UC. Fingers crossed they can sort the backdate for him too. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.