Hi, my name is Chalky and I have a question about PIP assessment. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Chalky and I have a question about PIP assessment.

Options
Chalky
Chalky Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited August 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My son has been waiting for mandatory reconsideration since Jan 21st 2020 
he failed to attend assessment in August 2019 due to social anxiety ,OCD.We informed the reason why and on June 4th 2020 we got a letter to say it was agreed that the reasons he didn’t attend were valid and the claim would continue 
we have now got notification for a telephone assessment -this will cause undue stress
he has received DLA since a baby and has multiple health issues 
can anyone advise how to proceed as he wants me to do the assessment on his behalf -this was all explained in the letter ???

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    Options
    HI and welcome,

May i ask if you're his appointee? If you are then you will be able to speak on the phone on behalf of him during the assessment. If you're not his appointee then it's unlikely that you will be able to speak for him, much the same as a face to face assessment really.

Also if you're not his appointee he could put the phone on loudspeaker so that you will be able to help him through the assessment, if he needs it.

Before Covid19 it was normal for most people to have face to face assessments for PIP but those have been suspended since March and telephone assessments have taken there place.

PIP and DLA are different benefits with different criteria, so claiming one doesn't mean you're automatically entitled to the other. If you kept a copy of the PIP form then i'd advise you/him to have a read of that before the assessment takes place. Part of it will be to confirm what was written in the form as well as any other additional information they need.

Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Options
    My son had similar situation...I rang his social worker because he'd refused point blank to attend.
    Following this my son was told he could have home visit...
    On the day the assessor called, and said she didnt think a home visit was needed just the phone call. My son refused to speak to them other then shout abuse...the assessor was very kind and just asked me to confirm a couple of things on his form, from that he was awarded enhanced for both for ten years and told would only get light touch review then.
    Is there someone who could have a word as did my sons social worker?
    They were very understanding...kept telling me not to apologise for my sons background heckling...
  • Chalky
    Chalky Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Thanks Poppy 
    no im not his appointee but will he be able to request that I speak on his behalf on the appointment?-with him present as he will panic and freeze 
    we have sent supportive evidence from his CBT councillor to explain this 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Chalky and welcome to our online community.  I'm glad you found us and I hope we can help.

I've moved your post over to our PIP and DLA discussion board so our fab members who have lots of PIP knowledge can spot your post and give you a reply.  

Just to add, I can empathise with your son and him feeling anxious at the thought of an assessment.  I'm sorry it's being made difficult for you.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Options
    Maybe you could arrange to become his appointee?
    I am for my son...
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Chalky said:
    Thanks Poppy 
    no im not his appointee but will he be able to request that I speak on his behalf on the appointment?-with him present as he will panic and freeze 
    we have sent supportive evidence from his CBT councillor to explain this 

He can certainly ring the health assessment providers to ask them. As you're not his appointee then he will need to ring to go through security and then he can tell them that you will be speaking on his behalf. Just tell then that his anxiety will not allow him to use the phone himself but putting the phone on loud speaker could be an option and then you will be able to hear what is being asked.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Chalky

Good Evening & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

I am one off the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

I have got a good friend in the “Community” who is very good when it comes to “Benefit’s”

Hi @poppy123456

Can you please offer me some help with this “Benefit Post”

Many thanks.

@steve51
  • poppy123456
    Options
    @steve51 thanks but i've already answered the questions.
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.