What happens with paper based assessment is it different? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What happens with paper based assessment is it different?

piphelp
piphelp Community member Posts: 19 Connected
I’m not sure if anyone remembers but I requested a paper-based assessment when returning my pip forms and I just wandered does it follow the same process? 
Will they still write the same sort of assessment report and can I request it from DWP? 
Are success rates of paper based assessments generally higher/lower/same?

Thank you for any answers you can give 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Paper based assessments are rare, most people are having telephone assessments at the moment because face to face ones are still suspended. If you are lucky enough to have a paper based assessment then the report is still writen in exactly the same way but it's the PA5 assessment report and not the PA4.

Yes you can request a copy of the report in exactly the same way as the PA4. My daughter had a paper based assessment for her last review.

No idea of the success rates because no many people have them but i've not heard of anyone being refused after a paper based assessment.

Although because they are so rare you should expect to have the telephone assesment and if you're unable to complete that then you may have to wait until face to face assessments are back up and running again and i've no idea when that will be.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • piphelp
    Thank you @poppy123456 you are so helpful

It is definitely paper based. So is that is a PA5? Do you know if I can see a sample one anywhere so I know what it will look like as I cannot find one when I search online 
  • poppy123456
    edited August 2020
    You're welcome. Have you been told it's a paper based? It's exactly the same layout as the PA4 but it's called the PA3. The only difference between them is the report is written based on the evidence and your form.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @piphelp you say you requested a paper based assessment and then you say it's definitely a paper based, the fact that you asked for that doesn't mean that's what it will be i'm afraid, as poppy rightly points out paper based are rare the PA5 is just the report that the HCP professional fills out indicating where points have been scored (or not scored) it would give you an idea of the award that might be given, in that respect its similar to a PA4.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• piphelp
    Is there somewhere I can see what a pa4 or a pa5 look like? Just so I understand layout before I receive it? 
    I did get paper based sorry if I was unclear. They said they receive assessment report already so has to be as I have not had an assessment. Unless I have misunderstood? 
  • poppy123456
    I noticed from another thread of yours that you only sent the form a few weeks ago. If the report has been returned then that is extremely quick. If it's back then you can request a copy, providing you live in the UK. There's no samples online that i know of.
  • poppy123456
    Right the paper based assessment report is actually called PA3 and not PA5, sorry about that confusion. I just looked at both of the reports that i have from previous assessments. The PA3 is a shorter report and the one i have here is 18 pages, compared with 28 pages for the PA4 (face to face report)
  • pinkrose
    pinkrose Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
    hi piphelp, do you  mind me asking when you applied ? i applied in june , i rang to make sure they received my form , the lady told me it was with the assessor,and  this was a month ago.   i sent a lot of evidence and medical support letters in , and not sure if they have done a paper based assessment or not , just a waiting game now.
    good luck anyway with your claim @piphelp
  • piphelp
    Ok I’ll keep trying to find a copy online I just like to know what the format looks like. Thank you for updating that it is a pa3 @poppy123456 If you know any blank copies or templates online I can see please could you link me? 

I got a text on Friday to say they had received assessment report so has been paper based. It has all been very fast for me. They scanned it on to the system less than a day after I posted it. And now they have my assessment report back only a few weeks after I sent the form. I am really shocked how quick it all has been. 

@Pinkrose I only sent it at the end of July so not even a month has passed. Sorry you are still waiting that doesn’t seem fair. Maybe my area has less backlog at the moment? Hopefully you will hear soon - very good luck to you.

If anyone knows where I can see a PA3 online for an idea what it looks like please can they share it with me? 
  • pinkrose
    pinkrose Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
    thanks @piphelp , keep us posted with how you get on . keeping my fingers crossed for you . 
  • poppy123456
    Here's the PA4... the PA3 is just a shorter version of that. If you've requested it then you should recieve your copy soon and then you'll know. I must admit your claim has been very quick.

• piphelp
    Aw thank you @pinkrose i hope you are not waiting long!

Thank you @poppy123456 that is so helpful, I couldn’t find it when I searched.

Do they put scores in or just notes? How do you know what they recommend? 
    Is it a long wait usually for a decision from now? 

Will they send me the assessment report along with the decision letter or do I need to specifically request it? 

How did you learn so much about it all? 

• poppy123456
    Points are never added in the report because it's just a recommendation and nothing more. You will see the descriptors/activities like the ones in the link above and there's a dot next to one they're recommending. Underneath that there will be their justification.

No, they don't automatically send the report, you need to request it. If you live in the UK you can request it before the decision's been made.

There's no timescales for any decision but they've been rather quick up to now, they couldn't really be any quicker.

I know so much because i claim the benefits myself and personal research over several years.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.