Respite guidance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Respite guidance

Rifi7
Rifi7 Community member Posts: 198 Pioneering
Hi there,
Hope all are keeping well and safe.

I wondered if I am able to get some advice. I will soon be getting my flat adapted to accommodate my wheelchair. It is major works that will be taking place and the occupational therapist has suggest it might be a good idea that I stay somewhere else. She has suggested that I go to a care home while this going on but that would mean I would be confined to my room and once I come home, I would have to self isolate once in home. I would need to also have to put my dog in kennels. Firstly I’m not keen to go into care home and I definitely don’t want to put my dog in kennels. That’s is not going to happen!  I don’t have anywhere to go nearby but I do have a sister that lives in West Sussex but her place is not disabled accessible. I heard I may be able to get financial help for respite on a holiday let which is disabled accessible and where I can take my dog. Is there any help I can get and if so who do I speak to about this?
many thanks,

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    HI,

You will need to speak to your local council (social services) regarding this. I'm surprised actually that your Occupational Therapist hasn't already told you this.

Good luck with the adaptions :)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rifi7 Long time no see hope you have been keeping well and so glad you adaptions are about to take place

As Poppy said I am surprised your OT didnt give you some more information. Maybe try adult social services or CAB who may be able to assist
  • Rifi7
    Hi Poppy123456,
    Thanks for the advice. Rang my social services today and just awaiting for a call back.

Hi Janer1967,
    Thank you for asking and Yes I’ve been off the forum for a while. Unfortunately my mum passed away a few months ago on top of dealing with other stuff and it became so over whelming I retreated into myself.  Slowly I’ve been trying keep myself busy getting my flat sorted before the impending winter comes round but hope to be back on the forum a bit more often.  I see a few of the regulars have gone. Spiceman was so lovely and helpful. Such a shame if has gone from the forum.

As you will see from my response to Poppy123456, just awaiting a response back from social services.

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rifi7 Lovely to meet you :) 

I am sorry to hear about your mum passing away.  That must have been very difficult and I can understand you wanting to retreat away for a while.

It's great to have you back on the forum and let us know how you get on speaking to social services.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @Rifi7 I am sorry for your loss very hard to lose a parent 

I gather you have decided to stay put and not move and I hope the adaptions go well 

Yes shame some members are absent and spice man is surely missed 

There are still lots of the oldies around and lots newbies too 

Remember we are always here for you
  • Rifi7
    Thanks Janer1967. Yes very difficult time. I was very close to mum.

I really had little option but to stay but will be happy to just get the adaption done and settle before the winter comes.

Glad to see you still on the forum and I’m sure a lot of people are on holiday.

Life for me is a bit up and down with all that’s happened on top of Coronavirus, so it’s nice to know there’s a come to chat.

Thank you.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm glad you can reach out to us @Rifi7, I hope you're having a good day. :)
    Scope

Brightness