paper tribunal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

paper tribunal

jaknit
jaknit Community member Posts: 30 Connected
I was denied PIP after being on DLA high mob and low care. since my last DLA had a series of strokes although worse i avoided pip until i had no choice, given zero points in all categories, say no vision problems, strokes downgraded to a cerebral accident, seriously MRI shows rear brain like swiss cheese. at first stage tribunal, paper hearing. notified on 30th July that hearing booked . Driving myself mad wondering, how long will i have to wait until i hear something, 2 weeks, month, longer. any one been down this route would welcome input.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

Once the decision is made they will send you a decision letter, i have no idea how long this will take. Hopefully you'll hear something soon.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jaknit
    The waiting is the worst, second only to being told by pip assessor i was an alcoholic, i take a cocktail of meds to help protect brain from further damage, she said one of them was used to treat alcoholism, and the dwp guidelines were clear, the medication is prescribed for alcohol abuse, it was in her report on list of meds paracetomol-pain, thiamine-alcohol. they really are diabolical. not blind, i watch tv, can prepare and cook meals -eats microwave cottage pie using left hand. right handed but right hand usr very limited now. dwp got second atos report after they dug up gp notes from dla claim in 2011, atos said the notes did appear to contradict assessors finding but that just showed my condition could vary day to day. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community, as advised we cant really say how long it will take it depends on the workload of the clerk and other members

I am sorry you feel the assessment didnt take your condition into account and hope you are more sucessful with the tribunal

Keep us updated  
  • jaknit
    thankyou, GP wrote directly to dwp to point out that thiamine was not prescribed for alcohol abuse, they have dropped that now, still makes me angry though, they should not be allowed to behave as my assessor did, my son is helping me pursue a formal complaint against ATOS/IAS.  i was independent and confident and they made me vulnerable and ashamed.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jaknit. I'm really sorry you had this distressing experience. Please do let us know how you get on with the formal complaint, and don't hesitate to ask more questions about the process. I'm sure that some of our other members have been in a similar situation
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • jaknit
    I won appeal. I used the online form and chose not to appear, i was concerned because it was suggested it might lower my chance of success.  It was quick, appeal oldged 6th April, decision arrived in post yesterday. as most people cant appear because of covid, dont be put off in pursuing your claim because of current situation 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Great news thanks for sharing 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    That's really great news @jaknit! I'm so pleased for you, and thanks for sharing your positive story, as I think it'll bring some hope to some of our other community members :)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Congratulations @jaknit - & thank you for sharing this. :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Amazing news @jaknit!!! 
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.