Doctors Appointments — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Doctors Appointments

Dragonslayer
Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
Hi there
Just recently I developed a chest condition. I am finding  it hard to swallow, in fact impossible. and my chest is hard. So I called my Doctor. I was told I would have to wait until Saturday for a Doctor to call me! And would have to wait until after 12.00pm for that. Is it no wonder people are going straight to A@E? Or Am I expecting too much? 

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear this @Dragonslayer. Did you get a call from your doctor today? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Sadly it seems to be how the system is working (or not) at the moment, although evidence would suggest that people are staying away from A&E as well. @Dragonslayer hope you got sorted?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Dragonslayer
    So I get the call today. ( From a city hospital ) I thought it was coming from my Doctor! or at least from someone from my practice! Which I believed it would come from. After explaining all my symptoms he tells me there is nothing to worry about for there is nothing wrong with me and it will all go away. He then goes on to say call 111 if I have a temperature, or a cough and ask for a Covid test. He offers no medication, even though I asked for some along with advice. Am I wrong to think this is bad? Or at least a sorry state of affairs? Or Am I just comp!aiming for the same of it? 
  • Dragonslayer
    I may have that number 111 wrong! Sorry!!!
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    No 111 is correct.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• male45
    male45 Community member Posts: 336 Pioneering
    @Dragonslayer
    Hi dragonslayer.
    I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling unwell and have had a consultation with someone other than from your drs practice which can be stressful.
    You asked
    . are you complaining for the sake of it...can I put your own question back to you...do you feel you are?

You didn't say how your chest condition was diagnosed,  or exactly what it is...could you tell us a little more please.

I do hope you aren't suffering tonight and your symptoms have eased
    Please do update the community how things are 
    Best wishes

Best Wishes 
  • Tori_Scope
    Hmm I suppose maybe it's hard for them to fully understand symptoms over the phone sometimes @Dragonslayer. I hope you're feeling a bit better today? If you're feeling unwell and are concerned again, COVID19 related or not, then definitely call 111 if it's not an emergency, and 999 if it is. 

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Do you suffer with any sort of anxiety issues?  If so, everything you mention automatically becomes anxiety related once that's on your record!  :#   'Doctor, I fell down the stairs and my leg's hanging off...it's all in your mind, try some mindfullness'  :D

If it's really urgent, A&E is the place to go, calling 111 is just a 'filter' to keep worriers from clogging up 999.  Though if you can manage at home, it's probably better to do that than risk Covid19 at hospital at the moment.  I must admit, when I read the post yesterday, it did seem like a potential Covid case but I didn't want to worry you before hearing from the Doctor.
  • Dragonslayer
    @OverlyAnxious
    Hi there. I normally never suffer from anxiety, in fact it is the reverse. I never worried about anything medical or any issues I had. But now I think about it and now with age setting in things do seem to feel diverent at times!
    But thanks to all for the messages and concern. It seems the guy I talked with could be right. Today I feel much better, things are easier. A little while ago I had bad congestion in my nose and ear canals. My doctor gave me a nose spray for it, but told me it could affect my chest as well and it could take up to 6 weeks to clear up fully. Seems she was right.
  • Dragonslayer
    Thanks again to all that commented and the help I received over my (Condition) 
    Thinking back I may have been overly concerned. It is hard to discuss problems like these over the phone, especially to someone other than your own Doctor and hard to accept what they say. He was of course correct to mention and show concern over Covid.
    I am so pleased I joined the Scope community. Everyone on here is great.
    Thanks to all on here. I look forward to all future posts and discussions?
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    @Dragonslayer - pleased you are feeling somewhat better. 4 years ago, I fell badly, but put off ringing 111 until the next day (a Sunday). I thought I'd fractured my hip, & said so. The response, is one leg apparently shorter than the other? I said if you think I'm going to lie down on the floor to check, I'm not, as I'd have bother getting back up again! So it was, what makes you think you've fractured your hip? In frustration I said because I've treated many patients with this (as a physio student).
    Yes, very hard to convey your concerns over the phone to someone that doesn't know you!
    In my own case, a lovely paramedic arrived 10 mins later, & an ambulance a further 10 mins later. The ambulance driver asked, if you think it's a fracture we should go to one hospital; if not to another. Thankfully I was believed, & they took me to the right hospital.
    If you do have any concerns, remember you know your own body the best. :)
  • Dragonslayer
    @chiarieds
    I am so pleased your story ended on a good note and I fully understand what you say about how hard it is to convey how we feel, or what is wrong with us at times, especially when in pain or something medical and even harder over the phone. 
    That's why it feels so good to be a part of the Scope community. So many to turn to, so many to help, so much support. All offered freely and without expectations.

Look after yourself. Stay safe and live well. 
    Same to all on here.

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I really hope you start to feel a little better soon @Dragonslayer! We're glad you are part of the community too. :)
    Scope

• Dragonslayer
    I really hope you start to feel a little better soon @Dragonslayer! We're glad you are part of the community too. :)

I think I got a little too concerned over something that thankfully turned out OK. I am now feeling much better and will be soon over it.
    I am glad I and pleased to be a part of this community. Thanks to all. ?

• Denise11
    Denise11 Community member Posts: 99 Pioneering
    Actually, I've got the same thing.  I've had a cough for a couple of years and seen 2 GPs who have both said that it's because the muscles in my neck are going into spasms when I eat, drink or start to talk.  But, in February I was having another problem and saw a consultant who tried to put a camera down my throat but I choked and couldn't breathe as I had a asthma attack!   I had choked before but nothing like now.  Once, I phoned my brother because I really thought I was on the way out.  Next day, I phoned 111 for advice and they sent an ambulance crew to check me out and one of them spoke to my GP and within half an hour I had an appointment to see the ENT Doctor who did tests and, like the GP's said it was spasms.   I'm being sent to speech therapy to show me exercise to do to keep the muscles strong and according to the doctor will show me what to do if I choked again.
  • Tori_Scope
    I'm sorry to hear about that scary experience @Denise11, but I'm glad you're getting some help for your spasms now! 

Brightness