Universal Credit and Direct Payments — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal Credit and Direct Payments

Luna51
Luna51 Community member Posts: 283 Pioneering
Hello everyone 

I have another question regarding UC and would appreciate any advice, especially if it's from someone's personal experience. 

My daughter receives PIP both enhanced rates. She has just left education and has a direct payment from the Council of £14,500 to support her in a programme (to encourage independent skills in the community) this course is specifically for education 'leavers' at the college she currently attends. Following the financial assessment by the local Council she did not have to contribute anything towards the direct payment due to her PIP only income. I read in the report that it's agreed she needs £138 (approximately) to live on (she lives with me) a week. My question is will the council take the rest of the money she'll potentially receive for UC as a contribution towards her Direct Payment? I do know that they cannot use the PIP mobility component in the calculation for the said £138 per week.

Thank you so much ☺ 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

The reason why she didn't have to contribute previously was because her only income was PIP and before she reached 20 she was still classed as a dependant.

Once she starts to receive UC then yes they can ask her to make a contribution towards the help she receives.

Personal experience here because my daughter is exactly the same as your daughter. She receives direct payments for support but no contribution is needed form her because i still receive child benefit for her. She also claims PIP. Once she reaches 20 and claims UC in her own right then i'm fully expecting our local council to reassess her financially.

You will need to report the changes to your local council when she starts to receive UC.

Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Luna51
    Hello poppy123456

Thank you for your reply. 

Yes, I was told this by the Council's finance officer. My daughter is 21 (June of this year) I'm just wondering if they take every penny she'll potentially receive for UC aside from the £138 per week to live on.
    If so, as awful as it sounds, it seems pointless going through the stress of claiming UC if they are just going to take it all back for her Direct Payments.

(Hope I'm making sense) ☺ 

• poppy123456
    Yes i can understand what you mean but it will still be worth her claiming UC for a few reasons.

They may not take every penny.
    1/ she will have her NI credits paid towards her state pension. They are not paid when claiming PIP.
    2/ If she doesn't claim UC then they may decide that she's depriving herself of money and take a contribution anyway.
    3/ She will receive free NHS treatment providing she doesn't earn over a certain amount each month.

If she's unable to work because of a health condition then she'll need a fit note from her GP to be able to start this process off. They will then assess her ability to do any type of work. Once the decision's made on that if she's given LCWRA then she'll receive an extra £341 per month from the 4th month of her claim.

All that considered, it's definitely worth her claiming UC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Luna51
    So, yes, it is worth claiming. She is unable to work as she has rare neurological condition. 
    You've convinced me to do it, thank you so much Poppy, best wishes to you and your daughter. ☺ 
  • poppy123456
    Yes definitely worth claiming it, for sure. You're welcome. If you need any further advice once you've claimed then please do come back. I'd advise you to have that fit note before claiming because the sooner it's sent in the better.
  • Luna51
    I shall, and thank you again. 

No doubt I'll be back! ? 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.