Approaching employers with my disability — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Approaching employers with my disability

Mthebrave
Mthebrave Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi,

Since 2014 I've been unable to work full-time due to my health, I was working part-time zero hours so I could manage my symptoms around work but it wasn't stable for me. 

I would like to apply for full-time jobs but work with my employer to take the days off which I need, as I have severe PMS/PMDD it's relatively easy for me to track my worst days (usually 2 days a month) in advance. 

My questions are: How do I approach my future employer? 
When should I approach them?
Are there any UK laws or legislation rights around this?
Are there certain jobs I can look out for who are hidden disability friendly?
How do I tell my employer if my cycle changes?
Are there charities that can help me?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community I would suggest you discuss this with a potential employer during interview or if you are offered the post

Maybe they will let you book holidays or unpaid leave for the days you require as if you go sick every month this will impact on your absence record

There are UK laws around disability all covered in the Equality Act but I am not too sure if your condition would be classed as a disability as the definition is a long term condition that has a substantial affect on your ability to carry out normal daily activities

Employers that are disability friendly have a two tick accreditation a logo on the application but if they dont have it doesnt mean they are not disabled aware

Im not sure of any charities but there is lots of information on here about getting into work

Good luck hope you find something
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Mthebrave

It is a tricky subject to consider, I've thought many times in the past about when the best time to tell any prospective employer about my disability is. And I don't think there's a right or wrong answer, I think it needs taking on a case by case basis, but essentially you should do what you feel most comfortable with.

Any decent employer should be receptive to your needs, ultimately if you are the person they choose to do the job they should make every effort to ensure that you can do the job to the best of your ability. 

From personal experience, I find that honesty is the best way to go. I would think about how your condition will impact your working life and consider any solutions or workarounds that you could suggest to your employer. 

But as far as the 'when' question is concerned, you should tell them whenever you feel comfortable enough to, but I think telling them at an interview works better, because it allows you to show your initiative and determination to succeed in the role despite your condition. Also, it will help you gage how much you would enjoy working for them, judging by whatever they respond with.

If you do want any help or advice with getting into work, Scope has plenty of information on the topic.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Mthebrave, the decision is 100% yours. However, here is a Scope article about mentioning your disability when applying for jobs which you might find helpful. :) 
    Scope

Brightness