Dla renewal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Dla renewal

clee210
clee210 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi I am hoping someone can help me, my daughters renewal for dla is due soon, what happens if you don’t have any new evidence? We don’t see any health professionals now she’s been diagnosed and she attends mainstream school but the way they word her report is very positive and doesn’t highlight her care needs at all, When I challenge the school they just dismiss my concerns, does anyone have any advice? 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    hi @clee210 send what you have even if its not new.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• clee210
    Hi woodbine thanks for your reply, I do have old reports from paediatrician, I just don’t understand why the school go a round about way when they report needs at school, I am worried if Dla get in touch with my daughters school it will effect her claim, they aren’t very supportive at all ☹️
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @clee210

Welcome to the community :) 

It does seem like it's quite a stressful time for you at the moment which is understandable. Any benefit renewal can be hard to go through, even more so considering it's for your child. Rest assured this community is here to support you as best as we can.

It's a shame that the school isn't being very helpful, have you tried writing to a more senior member of the school staff?

You could send old evidence as mentioned above, but you could always go to your daughter's GP to ask for a letter which outlines her condition and how it impacts her.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • clee210
    Hi Ross Scope thank you, I always get myself in a state when it’s renewal time, that’s kind of you to say that.

with the school I feel they put a barrier up when it comes to my daughters needs and I am not getting a true picture of her at school, luckily she has a twin sister who is in her class and she tells me things but I shouldn’t have to rely on my other daughter for information.

I didn’t realise my g.p would be able to help, in saying that they do get copies of all her reports,  I will definitely look into that thank you for your advice 
  • clee210
    I have heard a lot of claims get turned down because of school reports being positive, Also how to you get evidence of how your child is in the real world, my daughter struggles a lot with bodily functions in the settings you have just mentioned, I never even thought of it that way, the obsession with the school is purely because of what I have heard.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Don't look into it too much aboiut what you "hear or read" remember, they will mostly only be the bad stories. Lots of people claim DLA for their children without any problems at all but you very rarely hear the good stories.

Those real life examples shouldn't be too hard, i assume that you spend a lot of time with them because there are a child and you will be the only person that knows how they are affected by their conditions.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • clee210
    Thanks Poppy, your right saying it’s only the bad stories that go about, you just hear so much of them, yes I spend all my time with my daughter and she has so many struggles her daily bodily functions, I just thought you need a lot of reports or evidence to back a claim up, I can definitely but on her renewal about her daily struggles.
  • clee210
    Thanks Mike I will take your advice on board, I think I have been listening to the wrong people when it comes to claiming, my daughter has so many struggles and I thought the school had a big part to play when it comes to claiming but maybe I am just obsessing over it a bit too much, I do have anxiety so that doesn’t help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.