PIP AND LWRCA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP AND LWRCA

robertt
robertt Community member Posts: 120 Connected
edited September 2020 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi guys I'm sure that subject is sticky by now as probably many before me had asked about it, however I ll take my chance..
2 weeks ago I was awarded PIP standard rate £58.70 but I'm also receiving LWRCA, what is going to happen now, will LWRCA be amended or stopped or I should move to different benefits having these two to make things easier or less complicated or I should completely do nothing thank you? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

PIP and LCWRA are 2 completely different benefits and are not related to each other in the way you seem to think they are.
    More information is needed to be able to help you further.

What benefits exaclty are you claiming because LCWRA could be Universal Credit, New style ESA, the old Income Related ESA or the old Contributions based ESA.

Do you also live alone or with a partner? Is anyone claiming carers allowance or the carers element of Universal Credit for looking after you?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, PIP will not affect your other benefits as Poppy has stated.
  • poppy123456
    wilko said:
    Hello and welcome, PIP will not affect your other benefits as Poppy has stated.

That's not what i stated. Although they are different benefits, it does depend what benefits exactly is being claimed here as i advised. I can't advise further without more information.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • robertt
    Oh sorry for not being specific, it's universal credit LWRCA I live by myself noone claims anything for looking after me 
  • poppy123456
    Thanks for that. As you're claiming UC LCWRA and not ESA then the disability premiums are not paid with UC. If you're under 35 though and are privately renting your home then you'll be able to claim for the 1 bedroom rate of LHA rather than the shared rate.

Other than that there's no other benefits that you can claim. Your LCWRA will continue to be paid as normal.
    Hope this helps.
  • robertt
    Thank you guys, I'm 39 and renting privately. 
  • poppy123456
    Then you should alrready be claiming the 1 bedroom rate of LHA. Apart from council tax reduction, which you should already be claim in addition to your UC, there's no other benefits you can claim. UC has replaced all the old benefits and is 1 monthly payment.
  • robertt
    Ok thank you, I was just asking to make sure that I'm doing the right thing 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @robertt. Just wanted to congratulate you on your successful PIP claim. As Poppy mentioned this is separate to UC so you'll continue to receive both this and your LCWRA. You can let UC know you're receiving PIP via a note in your journal if you want to but in your situation there's no real need. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • robertt
    Thank you, u don't have an idea how to rent one bedroom flat? Agencies do not accept DSS its very unlikely and privet landlords as well, housing register list is as we know they have priority bands so I'm not within band A or B I was band C for a very long time many years I would say but I'm not quite sure if I submitted my reward letter with council would they move me up? 
  • poppy123456
    It's extremely difficult to find any landlord that will accept those claiming any benefits. When i moved house last October it took more more than 1 year to find a house. They are very few and far between. Depending on the area you live in there maybe some landlords but you'll have to search the internet to see what's available. If you are lucky to find someone then there's a very high chance they will ask for a guarantor, they did form me. Thankfully, my daughters partner happily agreed because in more than 10 years of renting, i've never once been behind with my rent.

It's unikely that any social housing will accept a PIP award as priority. If you're single with no dependant children then your chances will be even less. You could refer yourself for a needs assessment to your local council social services and if where you're living now has an effect on your health, where aids/addaptions can't be done then it's possible they could write a letter of recommendation but this isn't guaranteed.

For privately renting try looking on gumtree in your local area.
  • robertt

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.