Started my Diploma, what would you like to study — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Started my Diploma, what would you like to study

janer1967
janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
Hi all

I have today started to do a Diploma in Criminology, just for my own satisfaction and to keep the brain ticking over

What would you like to study if you could ? Interested in finding out different ideas

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @janer1967
    That sounds great.  I'm a big advocate for adult learning and criminology sounds fascinating.
    I've studied Education, Childhood and Culture at BA level then Critical Disability Studies at MA, both as a mature student.  

If I were to study again in the future I've love to know more about Psychology so I'd probably explore that!!

Let us know how you get on.  Do you have much reading to do?
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    Hi @Cher_Scope

It is all reading and then taking assessment, but very interesting to me anyway.

I need a course I can just do at home and doesnt involve exams or anything.

I have a post grad degree in Human Resources which I did part time when I was 30 years old 

Now 20 odd years on still eager to learn, They do a criminal Psychology which I may do after
  • Cher_Alumni
    Are you doing it via the Open University?  I always preferred coursework over exams.  I like a good project to get stuck into.  

Learning has opened up a whole other world for me and I think the more you learn, the more you realise you need to learn :D

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    I am doing it through somewhere called elearn college, 

The reason I chose that was the price most others were £400 plus and I didnt want to send that much until I knew I could do it (I have limited vision). Their course was only £39 as it had a 80% discount from their normal price

Ity is a lower level than most others are but thats what I wanted initially as I am only doing it for my own satisfaction and interest
  • Cher_Alumni
    edited August 2020
    That sounds like a bargain in comparison to the others available.  I hope you find it interesting.

As an aside, the University of Sheffield offer a number of free taster courses online.  Visit their Future Learn webpage for a nosey to see if there's anything that might interest you.  

• janer1967
    Thanks for that will have a look after all Sheffield was where I was born and bred
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    This sounds really interesting @janer1967!! I studied Psychology and Child Development and would love to learn more about the criminal side of things.

You'll have to let us know what you think!

If I could go back to uni I would study journalism. I actually applied for a Masters. :)
    Scope

• janer1967
    @Chloe_Scope I am doing criminal physcology next with the same provider 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    I always wanted to be a journalist but couldn't wait to leave school at 16, and start earning. 
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I too left school at fifteen to start work but I returned to night school to take psychology A level when I was thirty or so. A very interesting subject but it won’t turn anyone into Derren Brown overnight! ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Scottyboy
    Scottyboy Community member Posts: 47 Courageous
    I really enjoyed studying Criminology at Uni, I hope you enjoy it. Having spent some time working in this field years ago I now fancy a change so I too have just signed up for a online Diploma course...I start reading the introduction today. Social Housing Management as I fancy I change of direction into being a Housing Officer...Good Luck with your studies!...we'll study through together  :)
  • janer1967
    @Scottyboy wow this is bizarre I used to work in social housing for couple years as HR and managed housing officers a good and varied job 

Good luck with the study 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    There are several things I'd love to learn about, but one of the big ones is psychology.

How's the diploma going?
    Online Community Coordinator

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    @Ross_Scope Its going really well, completed 4 units now and enjoying it. I have registered for the criminal psychology as my next one
  • Ross_Alumni
    edited August 2020
    Amazing @janer1967 , you're powering through :) Was it simple to sign up to? 

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    Very simple @Ross_Scope
    It was eiearn college you just create account and purchase a course and it is instantly available for you to start and the price was good too 

You just learn at your own pace 
  • Ross_Alumni
    edited August 2020
    Fantastic @janer1967, I'll keep that in mind. Best of luck with it, although I'm sure you don't need luck, seems like you're doing great already :) 

• Tammyjane33
    Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
    Scottyboy said:
    I really enjoyed studying Criminology at Uni, I hope you enjoy it. Having spent some time working in this field years ago I now fancy a change so I too have just signed up for a online Diploma course...I start reading the introduction today. Social Housing Management as I fancy I change of direction into being a Housing Officer...Good Luck with your studies!...we'll study through together  :)
    Can I ask what site you use for your course please, is it a distance learning course?
    Hope it goes well. 
    Tammy 
  • janer1967
    @Tammyjane33

I have used elearn college it is all online. Also future learn has been recommended to me but not used them myself 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I've used FutureLearn for a few courses and I'd definitely recommend them :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness