PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

PIP/ESA reassessment

shnwttnshnwttn Member Posts: 18 Connected
Hi all, 

I posted several months regarding the fact I am in receipt of state benefits and how my health has declined substantially in recent months owing to being subjected to some really quite extreme occurrences, suffering ongoing harassment by residents of my locality (which included them making false fraud claims to the DWP around 8-10 times in the last 18-24 months and my having to prove this as false on each occasion) and the fact the pandemic has had a really quite detrimental effect on my mental health.

As I have provided medical evidence over the years which details my health decline, I was told that I should question the length of my award. I put this in writing, included new medical evidence (which states that whilst I have to remain in my current living situation that my health with continue to decline. However, owing to the fact my local housing provider will not assist me and as I suffer from
Agoraphobia, moving is virtually impossible).

I have today received a phone call from a case Manager at PIP who claims that just extending the award isn’t possible and that I would have to undertake the assessment process as a whole (again, my doctor has previously advised the DWP that my health worsens during the application process/when I am communication with the DWP such as having to prove my eligibility owing to false claims etc. but I have been told this is my only
option). However, the case Manager was seemingly attempting to dissuade me from undertaking the reassessment process as “It could result in being awarded a lower rate or having my benefits stopped entirely.

As the evidence I have provided over my time in receipt of state benefits shows a quite substantial decline in my health one would assume my benefits would remain the same or I would be given a higher award, however the persistence that I could lose my benefits all together I am now concerned at going forward with the reapplication. I still have around 18 months left of my current award but with everything that has happened since I was given my last award I have not had any real chance to recover/recuperate and want to be allowed time to concentrate on my health without interference from almost bi monthly being interviewed under caution/having to
provide proof that I am entitled to my award etc.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

  • janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 7,248 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi First of all are you satisfied with your current award if you are I would personally wait till it is up for review so you dont have to go through the assessment process again before it is due

    They have to warn you a change in circumstances can lead to loss or change of award but dont take this literally that it will happen

    I presume you are on standard award and hoping to get enhanced ? If you only have 18 months left on your award the review process eill take place in approx 12 months 

    Of course the decision is yours to to make and we will support you with what you decide
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Community Team Posts: 2,373 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @shnwttn

    I'm sorry to hear about the rough time you've been having with harassment and mental health.  Have you reported what the local residents have done? And are you receiving any support for your mental health? 

    As mentioned above, if you have 18 months left on your current claim you have quite a bit of time before renewal is even considered. That either gives you time to forget about it for a bit and focus on your health, or to prepare for when the time comes. But you don't have to do this alone. When it comes to the time of renewal I would suggest contacting your local Citizens Advice to find out what help and support they offer, alternatively in the meantime I would recommend reading this guide on what to expect.

    It must be difficult having agoraphobia and I'm sorry to hear you struggle with it.Have you ever tried treating it? If not, your GP may be able to advise on this or you could read this handy NHS page on treatments for agoraphobia.

    I'm sure others will be along to offer fantastic advice as well, but I hope this helps. You are always welcome on this community :) 





    Online Community Coordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
  • shnwttnshnwttn Member Posts: 18 Connected
    janer1967 said:
    Hi First of all are you satisfied with your current award if you are I would personally wait till it is up for review so you dont have to go through the assessment process again before it is due

    They have to warn you a change in circumstances can lead to loss or change of award but dont take this literally that it will happen

    I presume you are on standard award and hoping to get enhanced ? If you only have 18 months left on your award the review process eill take place in approx 12 months 

    Of course the decision is yours to to make and we will support you with what you decide
    Thanks for your reply.

    I am not expecting nor do
    I believe I am eligible for the higher award (I already receive the Enhanced rate for the Living component of PIP but I fall short by two points in the Mobility component for Mobility descriptor 1. As I have agoraphobia I cannot leave my home at all so I only receive ten points ‘cannot undertake a journey due to psychological distress).

    What I am hoping to
    achieve is to be allowed a period of time without having to
    undertake the reapplication process for both PIP and ESA as since my last award in December 2018 I have had to
    prove my eligibility for these benefits around 8-10 times owing to malicious claims of fraud. During this time I have had to contend with the death of my grandmother from brain cancer, my mother have both
    a stroke and heart attack, being subjected to an assault where I suffered bleeding on the brain, witnessing a stabbing, amongst several
    other major occurrences all of which caused my mental heath  to decline so severely that I attempted suicide. I am hoping that if I undertake these processes as soon is possible that I will have a period of time to recover/recuperate without all the interference and hopefully without the major occurrences that have happened to me over the last 2 years and I can seek/undertake therapies and such so I can recover from my illnesses and no longer be reliant on state benefits.
  • shnwttnshnwttn Member Posts: 18 Connected
    Ross_Scope said:
    Hi @shnwttn

    I'm sorry to hear about the rough time you've been having with harassment and mental health.  Have you reported what the local residents have done? And are you receiving any support for your mental health? 

    As mentioned above, if you have 18 months left on your current claim you have quite a bit of time before renewal is even considered. That either gives you time to forget about it for a bit and focus on your health, or to prepare for when the time comes. But you don't have to do this alone. When it comes to the time of renewal I would suggest contacting your local Citizens Advice to find out what help and support they offer, alternatively in the meantime I would recommend reading this guide on what to expect.

    It must be difficult having agoraphobia and I'm sorry to hear you struggle with it.Have you ever tried treating it? If not, your GP may be able to advise on this or you could read this handy NHS page on treatments for agoraphobia.

    I'm sure others will be along to offer fantastic advice as well, but I hope this helps. You are always welcome on this community :) 





    Thank you for your reply.

    Although I have around 18 months of my award left, in the time I have been in receipt of PIP, the DWP have contacted me around 9-12 months before the end of my award to undertake to process. Having questioned this I have been
    told this is common practice owing to how long the reassessment process takes. Therefore I only really have around 6 or so months before the process would begin again
    anyway.
  • janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 7,248 Disability Gamechanger
    They used to reassess 12 months before award endd but that has now changed to 6 months before so you should have a clear 12 months 
  • shnwttnshnwttn Member Posts: 18 Connected
    janer1967 said:
    They used to reassess 12 months before award endd but that has now changed to 6 months before so you should have a clear 12 months 
    Oh ok. I was unaware of this.
  • janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 7,248 Disability Gamechanger
    t changed a while back and was certainly the case when my own was reviewed last year and all other members who  post on here.

    I cant say when ESA assessment could be as this date is only a guide and they can re-assess you anytime from 3 months after the last one

    With current backlogs though due to the virus they have huge backlogs to get through and are dealing with new claims as a priority rather than reviews

    I am sorry for all you have been through it must be a difficult few years and now you have some time to recover and get yourself some help

    We are always here for support
Sign in or join us to comment.