Chronic Pain - why we seek comfort in others who suffer — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Chronic Pain - why we seek comfort in others who suffer

JoelVsArthritis
JoelVsArthritis Community member Posts: 21 Courageous
(Please move if I have posted this in the wrong place)

Today, I released a new post entitled: 'Chronic Pain - why we seek comfort in others who suffer' and thought it might be of value to some of you here.

In this article, I explore why it's easier to find comfort in others who suffer from chronic pain than it is friends and family.

I also hope that it can be of use when explaining to loved ones why its difficult for us to talk to them about the challenges of our chronic pain.

If this is useful, I'll happily share more of my work here. Link below.

Joel.

Arthritis blogger, writer and advocate.
Sharing my story of Juvenile Arthritis, parenting and mental health with chronic illness.
Writes for leading charities/orgs.
Articles?
https://joelvsarthritis.co.uk

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for sharing will look at it later 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for sharing that @JoelVsArthritis and I'll definitely have a read.

I agree fully that sometimes only people who have been through situations are able to 'get it' and offer the comfort others can't.  

Out of interest, how are you managing with your arthritis at the moment?  I hope you are keeping okay.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Lovely to hear from you @JoelVsArthritis! A great post, thank you for sharing it with us.

I hope you are doing okay. :)
    Scope

• JoelVsArthritis
    Thanks all, glad it was well-received. I'm doing ok thank you, got over my wobble post-shielding and adjusted to the changes quicker than I anticipated. I am also getting all of my support back in place from the hospital in terms of appointments, therapies etc. which is excellent. We are lucky here in Norfolk that the infection rate has dropped off a cliff, allowing things to be relatively normal now.

However, as an immunosuppressed person, I am now struggling with a lot of colds/viruses etc. after being locked up for 5mths. Makes it difficult for work when I was sick for so long due to lack of hospital support with my chronic illness, and now I'm back at work, I'm off again with flu-like issues.

Difficult times.

Hope you are all well?
    Joel.

P.S. Happy to share more articles on here as I write them, but I don't want to offend or put anyone out. 
    Sharing my story of Juvenile Arthritis, parenting and mental health with chronic illness.
    Articles?
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm glad you are doing okay and adjusting to life after shielding @JoelVsArthritis
    , it's good that you are in a part of the world with a low infection rate. 

Sorry to hear about the trouble you're having with flu like symptoms though, has your work been understanding? 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • JoelVsArthritis
    Work has been great but I put a lot of pressure on myself. I set high standards for myself when I'm healthy which means they are impossible to maintain when I'm sick (it's the typical thing of trying to compensate for your shortcomings that poor health brings!). I worry that people can only have so much patience with me - I try and remind myself that it's an exceptional time, I work in the NHS (so as secure as can be) etc. but you still feel disappointed with yourself. It's something I've written a lot about.

Going through CBT at the moment and trying to learn to be kinder on myself :)

Thank you for asking.
    Articles?
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm glad this is something you're working on in CBT @JoelVsArthritis :) I hope it's going well? Being kind to yourself is hard sometimes, but so important!

I look forward to seeing more of your posts.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • wanj_ndu67
    wanj_ndu67 Community member Posts: 5 Connected
    Your sharing has encouraged me to push myself more  to pursue my future goals. It is good to learn that there is possibility to venture out beyond the pain. You are a force to reckon with. 
  • JoelVsArthritis
    This is an amazing thing to hear and a great way to start the week, thank you. We might not be able to do everything we used to or want to but it doesn't mean we can't achieve. Stay safe.
    Articles?

Brightness