What happens now - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What happens now

2»

Comments

• Bumbles
    Bumbles Community member Posts: 34 Connected
    That’s great, thank you.
  • Bumbles
    Not received my assessment report yet or heard anything to say what group I will be put in.
    not sure if it’s relevant but today I received a DWP letter asking for me to supply “medical evidence” or sick note later this month?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    If the letter is a reminder for your fit note then yes this is correct because you need to continue to send them until a decision's been made on your work capability assessment. Once it's been made it will either be WRAG, Support Group or Fit for work.

I also see that you only had your assessment 9 days ago which isn't really that long to be honest. There's no timescales for decisions but some wait between 2-8 weeks sometimes longer.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Bumbles
    Ahh, that makes sense, thank you for the clarification.
    Not holding my breath for the report decision as it will be what it will be, maybe I will like their decision maybe I will not so face things as and when they arrive.
    incidentally can you email a copy of your sick note to them?
  • poppy123456
    You can't email it but there are other ways to send it. See link https://www.gov.uk/send-fit-note

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Bumbles
    edited August 2020
     I thought I would let you know that I Have heard from the DWP with a decision on my esa, they have put me in the support group, although they have a caveat on that stating I will not get the uplift on the money until early December.
    at least that is one less stress for now.
  • poppy123456
    That's great news! Although early December for the increased payments seems rather a long time. Rather than me read the whole thread may i ask what date exactly you started your claim for ESA? If you can tell me that date then i can work out when you should start to receive the extra money.
  • Bumbles
    Started the whole process on 18th May. It works out to just under 15 weeks after I received my award (support Group) letter.
  • poppy123456
    edited August 2020
    Then your extra money starting from December is not correct. There's a 13 week assessment period and payments start on the 14th week of your claim from the date you start your claim, not from the date the decision's been made.

My calculations are that your extra money should start from about now, give or take a couple of days. It definitely isn't from December.

May i ask who told you your extra money is from December?
  • Bumbles
    I received a letter which was from the DWP (jobcentreplus) which states that they have placed me in the support group from 4th December, and that is when my money increases from £74.35 to £113.55 weekly.
    hth
    Many thanks.
     Steve
  • Bumbles
    Having re read the letter it’s quite ambiguous, you could read it that I have been placed in the work group now and that I have to wait until the 4th of Dec before I receive the additional money.
    confused....
  • poppy123456
    That really doesn't make any sense at all. I'd advise you to ring them and ask because the assessment period for ESA is 13 weeks from the date you first apply and not from the date the decision's been made. Why would you be placed into the work related group first?

Please do come back and let us know once you've rang them. ESA letters are aften very hard to understand.
  • Bumbles
    Sorry that should have said support group not work group?
  • poppy123456
    edited August 2020
    Ah ok thanks. Well you still need to ring them and ask why you have to wait until 4th December to receive the extra money because you applied in May.
  • poppy123456
    edited August 2020
    I've tried to find confirmation of my advice but can't find anything specific that actually states from the time you apply. Ally i can find is this, which states...https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/employment-and-support-allowance-phase

Employment and Support Allowance has two phases; the assessment phase that is paid while you await your Work Capability Assessment (this should be up to 13 weeks but can be longer), then the main phase once you have been placed in either the Work Related Activity Group or the Support Group.

Note the highlighted part that says 13 weeks. Sometimes a decision can take longer than this, if does then backdated money is paid from the 14th week of your claim.

ESA rules haven't changed at all and i've claimed it since 2012/13 and my assessment took about 11 months, i was backdated all the money owed from the 14th week of my claim.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.