Somatoform pain disorder — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Somatoform pain disorder

harry01
harry01 Community member Posts: 217 Courageous
Hi,

They just put this down on my record. I think they mean somatic symptom disorder. 

I dunno if I'm comfortable with this. The description seems to suggest an exaggerated response to pain. That's insulting. I am seeing a persistent pain clinic.

I think I've hit the crux of the issue. They think that 'benign' pain is no big deal and do my reaction is disproportionate to them? 

Is there not evidence to suggest that long term pain alters someone's response anyway? In the last 10 years I became sensitive to even certain noises. Like a fire engine going passed and I'd put my hands to my ears. I never did that for the other twenty years of my life.

I think they don't know!!

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @harry01

Who put this down on your record?  I can understand your frustration as you are the one having to live with the impairment which is causing you a lot of distress.  It's important to remember though that it isn't fact but a medical opinion and the pain is real to you. 

Is anything helping alleviate the pain for you? 

Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @harry01, I can't say I have heard of this, but that's not to say it isn't a pain condition! 

Long term pain can definitely have an impact on how we process things. I believe this is still a very under-researched area.  
    Scope

• harry01
    Ah stupid phone deleted my message. 'Dumb phones' they should be called.

@Chloe_Scope it was added on the Dr IQ app this month presumably by one of the doctors. 

Thanks @Chloe_Scope

I just want them to help me live a more comfortable life.

• harry01
  • Cher_Alumni
    I'm sorry they put that on your Dr IQ app.  Sometimes these labels aren't particularly helpful at all.  

Focusing on getting towards a more comfortable life, do you feel like anything is improving?

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • harry01
    They like to make a mockery of 'normal' responses to extreme stress. They're a joke. 
  • harry01
    They'll never learn
  • harry01
    They don't get it. It's them who doesn't. 
  • Cher_Alumni
    I understand you @harry01 and I'm sorry you are experiencing this.  How is your pain today?

• harry01
    @Cher_Scope it's not great. Pelvic pain is particularly demoralising. 

I seem to be getting closer to being able to brush round my gums round back teeth. 

• Cher_Alumni
    Ouch, it sounds demoralising.  That must really hurt.

Have you tried interdental brushes for around your gums?  They are good for getting into small spaces that toothbrushes cant reach.

• harry01
    I use everything I physically can @Cher_Scope, including interdents. I even combine manual brushing with an electric toothbrush. :(

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Oddly, this has just been mentioned about myself last week.  I had never heard of it before either and can't find much online about it on UK sites...I wonder if it's the latest medical buzz-word over here?  Probably just a coincidence though.  Not really sure what to make of it either...

I also struggle to clean my teeth (albeit for a different reason) and I succumb to the toothpaste marketing...  I'm currently using Oral-B Pro Expert Deep Clean...apparently it uses active dissolving micro-particles for a deep clean you can feel!  :D

Ultimately though, plaque will build up along the gum line without the physical brushing action as you say.  Any plaque that gets left for just a few days goes hard and you'll never get it off with brushing alone. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry @harry01 That you are not happy with the service from your GP have you considered moving to another surgery that may be more helpful or isnt that an option

Have you spoke to a dentist about any aids they could recommend to help with your teeth
  • harry01
    @janer1967 I moved GP practice last year. They pass on your record along with Asperger's and body dysmorphic disorder.

As far as the dentist goes, I have to be honest - it's traumatising seeing them. I mean these were the people I had told since 2014 my issues and it reaches the point in 2017 where you literally can't mentally process what you've been living through. I was suicidal. 

I need an acknowledgement that that's what happened and I have them to accept my physical impairment is real by whatever mechanism that 'we don't know' works. 

• harry01
    @OverlyAnxious

'Somatic symptom disorder is characterized by an extreme focus on physical symptoms — such as pain or fatigue — that causes major emotional distress and problems functioning. You may or may not have another diagnosed medical condition associated with these symptoms, but your reaction to the symptoms is not normal.8 May 2018'

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I understand but getting an acknowledgement may give you some satisfaction but wont take away the pain 

I would try and focus on reducing the pain if at all possible 

Brightness