care contribution tooooo much ?????? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

care contribution tooooo much ??????

Suzzee
Suzzee Community member Posts: 3 Listener
hi everyone ..... can anyone tell me why my 38 year old daughter has to pay almost 30 pounds per week towards her care when her only income is her disability benefits.  she receives DLA care and mobility both at the higher rate and ESA she has no other income and no savings.   she does receive Direct payments from the local authority to pay for her PA.  my daughters contribution has gone from zero through to 28 pounds within the last 2 to 3 years just wondering if this is correct.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community glad you have joined us

Sorry I dont know anything about care costs but I am sure other members will be able to advise  

Just wanted to welcome you
  • Suzzee
    thanks for the welcome Janer1967 that was a nice surprise and already made me smile
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    No worries that is what we are here for to welcome and help where we can. At least I have brought a smile to somebodies face today :)
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

All local councils have their own criteria for payments towards a persons care they receive. I do know that they don't take into consideration a mobility award but they do take into consideration DLA care and ESA payments when working out a contributions for the care you receive. Really, this is what DLA is for.

I understand that a couple of years ago she wasn't contributing anything but things do change, even more so with things like this.

You can have a look at disability related expenditue criteria to see if she has any expense related to her disability that you can tell them and they may take that into consideration but it's entirely their decision and there's no specific criteria for all local council, it's just guidlines. https://www.independentlives.org/disability-related-expenses-explained

Unfortunately, most people have to pay a contribution towards their care/support they receive, even when receiving direct payments.

Hope this helps.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Just to add a big welcome to our community @Suzzee

How are you and your daughter getting on otherwise?  We are here to help wherever we can.

Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Suzzee
    Hi Cher, thanks for the welcome that means a lot
    Aaahhhh well we are all healthy which is the main thing but life is complex as is everyone I suppose, lots of big and small issues that are hard to work out and negotiate. 
    I will start with the easy ones and go from there  
    Will definitely use this platform to ask some advice
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Suzzee, you are most certainly always welcome to ask for advice on this forum :) I hope to see you around here more often going forward!
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi@Suzzee

Good Morning & Welcome it’s great to meet you today?

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope?

Please have a good look ? around & if there’s anything that you need please come over back me.

@steve51
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Suzzee, how are you both doing today?

Does your daughter get a lot of hours from direct payments? I hope the support she gets helps. :)
    Scope

Brightness