Disability Discrimination — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disability Discrimination

Hello All, anyone out there an expert on disability discrimination. I have had some very useful information from Robin at Scope but would appreciate any further advice. Thank you

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

If you can give some more information then i'm sure someone will be able to give some advice.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 18 Connected
    Hi, basically it’s all over my car which should be parked in a garage but I wouldn’t be able to get in and out due to disability. So I leave my car in visitors car park which has attracted many complaints. I live in a rented private flat in block of flats. I have also been verbally abused and ‘sent to Coventry’ by many residents all over my car. There are no provisions here for disabled people so I’ve also asked for reasonable adjustments. I am in the middle of claiming compensation for direct discrimination and harassment arising from disability. Last letter was pre action protocol letter, next step will be small claims court. It’s the reasonable adjustments I’m not too sure about. I’ve asked for a disabled parking bay on a solid surface not gravel which is where I park now and ramps to get in and out of building. I’ve had no respond to any letter so with reasonable adjustments what do I do now? Anyone dependent on a mobility scooter or electric wheelchair cannot get in or out of building. Most people here are over 70 and move out should they become disabled which I find unacceptable. Sorry it is so long. Any help gratefully received. Thank you.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bigmomma Welcome to the community I understand you frustration and the concerns regarding access to the building and also parking.

As is is private rent then I am not too sure on the landlords responsibility to provide suitable parking or access to the building if it isnt classed ads a disabled access property 

A disabled parking space could be considered as a reasonable adjustment if it is reasonable for the housing provider eg cost, permission from the highways etc

I suggest you get some legal advice if you can from CAB or welfare rights
  • [Deleted User]
    Thank you for your help. I have requested reasonable adjustments from the management company who run the flats nit my landlord. I have now been given some legal advice on the matter so hopefully it will be sorted out soon. Thank you again.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    That's great to hear @bigmomma :) I hope it all gets sorted soon. Please do keep us updated, and let us know if there's anything else you need help with. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    <moderator removed - offensive content>
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• [Deleted User]
    Thank you for your reply. It’s been going on for  8 months so not quick. And I’m leaving soon as they have driven me out. A solicitor told me to take legal action because of discrimination arising from disability. It’s all very distressing and over something as petty as parking my car. I also get one of the men here prying on me, peeping through my windows so I don’t think I would ever be able to get  on with perverts but thank you for your comments anyway.
  • [Deleted User]
    Thanks to @woodbine , I won’t be posting on here again. I came here for help not to be called a professional complainer and to be criticised. You don’t know half of what I’ve been through. Thanks to you I have now spent the last hour sobbing.  If I live to see another day, I certainly will never call on you for help. You are certainly one uptight ****.Go and boil your head.

Brightness