National Beach Day - Tell us about your favourite beach holiday — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

National Beach Day - Tell us about your favourite beach holiday

Cher_Alumni
Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
edited August 2020 in Coffee lounge

You might not know it but today is officially National Beach Day 2020  B)

Although our holiday plans might have gone a little wonky this year, I am sure we all have good memories of old holidays spent at home or abroad.  

One of my fondest memories relates to my first time abroad on a beach holiday to Albufeira in Portugal.  I remember being amazed at the colour of the sea and the local culture and food in the surrounding resort.   Personally, there is just something about the sea that gives me peace.

Photograph of clear blue sea and frothy tide coming inwards

What special memories do you have from holidays past?  Where is your favourite beach and why?
Let's pretend we are somewhere sunny!
Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    The beaches along the Algarve part of Portugal are very nice I have to agree :)
  • Cher_Alumni
    They are, have you been much?  We hired a car and drove to Lagos which was lovely too.  I remember the heat even now! 

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi all I love beach holidays but now in a wheelchair accessing a beach is a bit difficult . My favourite beach was in Dominican Republic when I went many years ago. I used to walk along the sea edge everyday paddling and getting a lovely tsn.

I also love greece and cyprus and looking forward to the day I get to go back abroad
  • Cher_Alumni
    @janer1967  The Dominican Republic sounds lovely.  I've never been but it's on my list.  

Whereabouts in Greece have you been?

• janer1967
    I have been to Kos about 6 times, love it there I did have a boyfriend there for a few years hence the number of times I went

Also been to Halkidiki again highly recommend I like the Greek way of life so relaxed and the food but some of the islands can be a bit rough terrain

Ive been to Paphos and Protorus in Cyprus

I have been to so many places but not been abroad for the last 6 years but planning on gong next year fingers crossed . I havent been since being disabled but now I have a partner I feel a bit more positive about going 
  • Cher_Alumni
    @Janer1967 ooooh Greek boyfriend, I have visions of Shirley Valentine  :) I've only been to Corfu but am keen to go back and explore some of the places you mention.  

Where are you fancying going next year? 

• janer1967
    lol @Cher_Scope I was only in my twenties at the time but love Shirley Valentine IU often used to sit and speak to rock lol

We are hoping for Spain I dont want to go too far on a plane as be first time since being in wheelchair and dont want the hassle of wanting to go to the toilet on the plane.

Once I have been and bulit my confidence will go further a field
  • Cher_Alumni
    Brilliant! Good luck with that, fingers crossed you manage to go and have a nice time.

I have a bit of a big birthday next year and am hoping to go to New York.  We shall see! 

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    They are, have you been much?  We hired a car and drove to Lagos which was lovely too.  I remember the heat even now! 
    A friend of the family had a villa out there and we used to alternate between Portugal and Spain each year. We went a few times in total. I was only in my early teenage years the last time I went to Portugal. The person is now dead sadly but I want to go back!! I found Portugal was a lot less “touristy” and a bit more authentic than Spain if that makes sense (but Spain is really nice too).

I agree hiring a car in a foreign country is so much fun. I have driven a few very fast cars but I think the most fun driving I have ever done was in a 75 horsepower Skoda Fabia hire car in the mountains of southern Spain! :)
  • Cher_Alumni
    edited September 2020
    @66mustang I totally agree.  I went to Portugal as I was advised it was less commercial than Spain and a nice first taster of sunny holidays abroad and I fell in love with it!! it's really kept a lot of its culture and isn't full of shops/bars.

Oooft I bet that Skoda saw some sights!! The hire car exploring is so much fun  :)

• davegregson40
    davegregson40 Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    my comment on this would be the beaches in Cornwall, I remember liking the really quiet beaches, clean beaches and rushing down the sand dunes and the sea was clear. 
  • Cher_Alumni
    @davegregson40  Oooh, I agree. Fistral beach in Newquay is beautiful and one of my favourite places in the UK.  Do you think you will visit Cornwall again in the future?

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I used to go to south Wales on holiday when I was a child and I've never seen better beaches since. I wouldn't call myself a sand expert but it was the best quality of beach sand I have ever seen and felt. Not to mention it is a lovely part of the world and paddling in the sea was so much fun :) 

I've been on holiday to the seaside towns in North Yorkshire in recent years and really enjoyed those times as well, but I'd say south Wales, in Pembrokeshire, was my best beach experience.
    Online Community Coordinator

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    In Spain we found a beautiful little cove near Salou. There was no more than 10 people there and the sea was so clear. It was so warm and I just remember being able to swim in the sea with family. A bit like our own private island!
    Scope

Brightness