Hi, my name is Zitta and I have a question about benefit entitlement. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Zitta and I have a question about benefit entitlement.

Options
Zitta
Zitta Community member Posts: 5 Listener
My divorce settlement is due and will take me over the £16,000 savings limit.  I am on income related ESA support group including Severe Disability payment and PIP. 
Is there any help I can receive.  I realise I cannot receive means tested benefits.  Is working tax credit a possibility or contribution based ESA?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

You will need to report the changes once the money goes into your bank. If all of your ESA is income related then yes this will end.

If you receive housing benefit and council tax reduction then you will also need to report the changes to your local council because both of those will also stop.

You won't be able to claim Contributions based ESA or New style ESA because those are based on your NI contributions from working in the previous 2 tax years. Working tax credits can only be claimed if you're working.

PIP isn't means tested and won't be affected.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Zitta
    Options
    Poppy123456
    thank you for reply. If I become self employed & work from home for 16 + hours a week. Also I do get SDP & I read somewhere this can help a person migrate within a month. 
    Obviously the “ lump sum” will not last long unless I am working as well. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Self employed people do claim tax credits but your self-employed work must aim to make a profit. It must also be commercial, regular and organised.

This means you may not qualify if you do not:

• make a profit or have clear plans to make one
    • work regularly
    • keep business records, such as receipts and invoices
    • follow any regulations that apply to your work, for example having the right licence or insurance

If the average hourly profit from your self-employed work is less than the National Minimum Wage, HM Revenue and Customs may ask you to provide:

• business records
    • your business plan - find out how to write a business plan
    • details of the day-to-day running of your business
    • evidence that you’ve promoted your business - such as advertisements or flyers
    https://www.gov.uk/working-tax-credit

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Zitta
    Options
    Okay thank you, I will investigate further 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Morning @Zitta and welcome to our online community.  

I've moved your post to our What benefits am I entitled to? board so its in a better spot to get good attention.  I see @poppy123456 has already given you detailed advice but please let us know if we can help you in any other way.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Zitta
    Options
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Once the money drops below £16,000 and you need to claim for help with any rent then you will need to claim for Universal Credit. If you claim UC and you're claiming working tax credits then this will then end.

Savings of £6,000 and over will reduce your UC by £4.35 per month for every £250 (or part there of) over that amount.
  • Zitta
    Options
    Okay. I will take that into consideration.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.