Sold my independence — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Sold my independence

tara2019
tara2019 Community member Posts: 234 Pioneering
just want to share i bought my car brand new 2009 and today I waved good bye its got 27000 on the clock also today ive been made redundant due to health after serving 27yrs 10 months I thought pip was about personal independence what a crock of poo now I was hse bound now im really hse bound i have to ask family to take me to appointments go shopping etc i just feel like my life is over

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    @tara2019 evening sorry to hear you've had such a bad day, can I ask are you receiving PIP?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,348 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi sorry to hear this.

Don't you already have at least a daily living award of PIP? Or am i thinking of someone else?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • tara2019
    Hi yes standard no mobility ive put in change from March this yr its just been a hard emotional day today dwp kept bringing up my car which my daughter drove for past 3yrs now i have no car n no job no independence I depend on my daughter who is my carer n my family members to help me everyday 
  • tara2019
    No poppy its me tara I just feel like I'm not doing well 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @tara2019

Morning, how are you feeling today?

I'm so sorry you had a hard day yesterday.  Being made redundant after so many years must be a big shock, did you have any idea it might happen? Are you going to look for another job?  

Also, I understand you feeling upset about not having a car.  I have only just got one after six years without and at times I felt frustrated having to rely on other people for lifts.  People will want to help you though and don't be afraid to ask them for support when you need it.

I think you are doing really well given the circumstances and what you are feeling is entirely natural.  Remember we are here if you need to talk about anything.

Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tara2019 I an sorry you are feeling like this but it is quite normal given the circumstances

I was the same when I became disabled , lost job, my home, my indeoendance, my ability to walk, drive and I had also seperated a few months before.

I did however have my 10 year old son so he was my reason to carry on

You will go through all these emotions but its how you deal with them and start to make a new but different life for yourself

We are all here to help and support you, as you get daily living have you thought about getting a carer even if for a few hours they could take you out

Happy to talk anytime
  • tara2019
    Thanks for the support and comments the redundancy was expected as ive had a lot of sick time off for past 5 yrs iam now mostly house bound ive lost my walking abilities and depression is severe so think my working days are over new day new start my daughter is my carer and I've got good support from my son family and good friends I will pick up was yesterday a very hard day thanks 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you started to think asbout thingd you csn do from home maybe some sort of craft, I really enjoyed volouring till my sight went.

I also come on here as a champion as that gives me satisfaction of helping others. I have also started studying again

There are lots of things you can do while at home and its great you have the support of your family
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @Tara2019 I'm glad to hear things are a bit better for you today.  It's great you've got your family and friends around you for support.  Life can be so hard at times and everything does seem to happen at once.  Don't forget one of us is always around if ever you need to talk.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • tara2019
    Thankyou for your support 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.