Children attending school after summer hols — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Children attending school after summer hols

male45
male45 Community member Posts: 336 Pioneering
edited September 2020 in Autism and neurodiversity
hi everyone.. apologies if this topic is elsewhere if so maybe the moderators will place it in the proper forum.
My grandson is autistic.  He is 11. A lovely lad amd very smart.
On august 25th he will begin what we call BIG SCHOOL here in Belfast. Its frifhtening enough for kids moving onto big schools but with covid around and schools changing how they operate it has to be more scarier than ever.
His school sent a letter today stating that each Yr will be kept separated at all times. Teachers will move from classroom to classroom instead of the pupils. All pupils will clean their hands upon entering school and on class.their will be sanitiser stations.
They will only attend three days a week from 9am to 12noon.
The days they are not in school they have to remote learn.
How is it for children where you are...

Best Wishes 
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,522 Disability Gamechanger
    Our 6 year old grandson went back to school for 6 weeks in June, it was well organised, I do think that its important for all children to return to school in September otherwise it will be difficult for the wider economy to get back into full swing, worldwide it seems that younger children don't react the same as adults to CV19, and at the end of the day education is important.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    @male45 To me that sounds like a good plan and well organised, if they can keep it that way. For a child with ASD routine is very important, so this could work very well for your grandson. Yes, he's going to be scared because he's going to "big school" it's a huge change regardless of Covid19. The sooner he gets there and starts his day the better it will be for him.

My daughter also has ASD and routine is essential for her too. She's 19 now and goes to college, although this year she's starting a supported internship, one day at college and 4 days work experience (unpaid) her start date at college is Sept 7th BUT we've had no information on where she will be working, what she'll be doing or the hours so it's not good for her and she's constantly asking questions about what's going to happen. I dread it because she's unable to go out alone, which means i have to take her everywhere she goes. Having a disabililty myself makes it even harder.

The saddest thing of all is her Support Worker (PA) quit her job with no explaination at all, after supporting my daughter for 2 years. Heart broken because now my daughter has no outside support, just myself. I'm dreading September...

Good luck to your Grandson, i'm sure he'll be just fine :)

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    It's good to hear about the different planning strategies schools have for going back in September.  Our teachers do an amazing job don't they?

I'm sorry about your daughter's PA quitting her job @poppy123456 I know how close a relationship can build between PA's and the people they support so that must be a loss for you and her :(  Any plans to try and recruit a new PA to help you out?
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    @Cher_Scope thanks. Yes, the job has been advertised with the help of a payroll company in my local area. No news yet but keeping my fingers crossed that someone replies soon.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cher_Alumni
    @poppy123456 Fingers crossed you find a suitable applicant :)

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • male45
    woodbine said:
    Our 6 year old grandson went back to school for 6 weeks in June, it was well organised, I do think that its important for all children to return to school in September otherwise it will be difficult for the wider economy to get back into full swing, worldwide it seems that younger children don't react the same as adults to CV19, and at the end of the day education is important.
    Absolutely  agree. Today I read online that in the ROI There are around 276 children with ages ranging from.0 that have covid. Also somewhere online that a newborn has tested positive in England.
    Hopefully none will transmit it and all survive as I hate hearing of children suffering.
    Best Wishes 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi my 14 year old son will be returning to full time school in September

He has been to a meeting to see his new form teacher and we have been sent a letter about how the school will operate

Bought new uniform even though last years has hardly been worn but he has grown

Must admit I will miss him being around but he cant wait to get back and see his friends

@poppy123456 Sorry  to hear about your daughters support and hope you find someone soon and she enjoys her new internship when it starts
  • male45
    @male45 To me that sounds like a good plan and well organised, if they can keep it that way. For a child with ASD routine is very important, so this could work very well for your grandson. Yes, he's going to be scared because he's going to "big school" it's a huge change regardless of Covid19. The sooner he gets there and starts his day the better it will be for him.

My daughter also has ASD and routine is essential for her too. She's 19 now and goes to college, although this year she's starting a supported internship, one day at college and 4 days work experience (unpaid) her start date at college is Sept 7th BUT we've had no information on where she will be working, what she'll be doing or the hours so it's not good for her and she's constantly asking questions about what's going to happen. I dread it because she's unable to go out alone, which means i have to take her everywhere she goes. Having a disabililty myself makes it even harder.

The saddest thing of all is her Support Worker (PA) quit her job with no explaination at all, after supporting my daughter for 2 years. Heart broken because now my daughter has no outside support, just myself. I'm dreading September...

Good luck to your Grandson, i'm sure he'll be just fine :)

I'm sure you are poppy.
    Your daughter sounds like a lovely person coping with very intense pressure all around her and coping well with your support.
    I really do hope she finds out soon where she will be going. No pay is slave labour but if the place is anyway decent she'll come out with something.
    I hope too that a support worker is foind fast for her.
    As you say the grandson will get use to being in a new big school. He is being placed in the special unit that will only have 13 pupils in it and several of them will be from his previous school he knows well so that will be great for him and them.
    I think the school have taken the unit as an example amd spread it for the whole school now. Our other grandson is at the school hes 17 but will not have any contact with the young one until both are home.
    A bigger school here today have announced mandatory face coverings throughout the school day for teachers and pupils. Another it seems are following suut.
    I worry about children having to do that because if they travel by public transport to school and home they are wearing a mask for a lot of hours and the cost on families having to purchase masks for use all week will be large.
    Again I hope some good news goes you and your daughters way poppy...keep strong
    Best wishes
    Best Wishes 
  • male45
    janer1967 said:
    Hi my 14 year old son will be returning to full time school in September

He has been to a meeting to see his new form teacher and we have been sent a letter about how the school will operate

Bought new uniform even though last years has hardly been worn but he has grown

Must admit I will miss him being around but he cant wait to get back and see his friends

@poppy123456 Sorry  to hear about your daughters support and hope you find someone soon and she enjoys her new internship when it starts
    @janer1967
    Itsbgreat to hear all the news about members children or grandchildren s schools and how each are prepping for returns.
    I agree that teachers do a grand job and as schools are enclosed spaces masks should be worn as they are on public transport and shops but having said that, once out of a shop or off a bus or train the mask can be removed unlike in school where say for example two schools here are making wearing them mandatory.
    My youngest grandson is taking moving to a big school in his stride at the moment but close to August 25th I'm sure all will change. Luckily his support worker is still in her job and I can see how she helps give our daughter  and geandaon confidence and support. So poppy I too hope all goes well really soon for you both. 
    Maybe you'll update when you hear more?
    Best wishes to all
    Best Wishes 
  • male45
    here in NI children received results of the A Level exams.

What a shambles.

Many manynofnthem have had their expected results downgraded. One lad who was offered a place in uni has now had that offer withdrawn because the 3 As he shouldve had was instead 3 Ds
    Seems some algorithm decided that students should have this or that result other than what they should have had. Also based it seems on previous school work.
    So are they happy...no and I'm sure the last 2 years have been very stressful on them. Teachers were working day and night to give the students grades based on their work and how they felt. Now the teachers union are upset and complaining.
    Children in Scotland got the grades back that they should have had I understand. 
    My grandaon is due his GCSE results next week . Hes staying on for  A levels but I'm sure if he sees same happen with his GCSE results he may decide not to return
    How are things where you are? 
    Best Wishes 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @male45 from what I have seen on tv and facebook pretty much the same has happened everywhere 

Awful that now uni places are being turned down 

Isnt it enough that education gas been disrupted so much then this 

I believe they do have options to appeal or take an exam later 
  • male45
    @janer1967
    Yes absolutely Janer 
    The children have enough to cope with. I read yesterday same is happening in Wales also.
    The executive here in stormont have asked the education minister an explanation  and called the executive to attend on Monday to discuss whats happened. Hopefully something  gets sorted.although bit late for the young peoples excitement. 

Best Wishes 
  • male45
    edited August 2020
    This morning on news here GCSE results due out this Thursday will now be graded using teachers, schools and colleges instead of the shambles ALevel results put out last week. Now at least children returning to do A levels will I hope return with some sort of contentment.
    And...some more schools are informing children that they recommend  the wearing of face coverings.
    My two grandchildren are at same school but have still to hear if their school will recommend  this. The youngest aged 11 is autistic. The older one is asthmatic 

Best Wishes 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    Yes, it was good news about the GCSEs, and the A Level u-turn @male45

Could your grandchildren be exempt from wearing a facemask even if it was encouraged by the school? That might be worth looking into once their school has released their guidelines. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • male45
    well lots of schools are returning. I see several teachers and or pupils in
    In various schools have already become infected with c19.
    Some schools here not too far from me have closed for deep cleaning because staff are infected and those schools haven't returned yet.
    I'm afraid for the future of children and teachers and staff. 
    I feel its a matter of economy before health 
    Best Wishes 
  • male45
    well my two grandsons returned to school today. Yes excited to see their friends again for one of them the other is his first time in the bigger school although he will know one or two in his new class.
    Hopefully no children anywhere will take ill with this virus..and they all have a wonderful time back in school. Same for teachers and school staff.
    Best Wishes 
  • Cher_Alumni
    @male45 exciting times  :) I've seen lots of first day back at photos on social media today!! New uniforms and school bags everywhere.  

Fingers crossed for a safe return.  

• male45

@male45 exciting times  :) I've seen lots of first day back at photos on social media today!! New uniforms and school bags everywhere.  

Fingers crossed for a safe return.  
    Yes fingers toes everything crossed for a safe return.
    My sister sent me a picture of her grand daughters first day in P1 geesh it makes me feel old when I just remember her in nursery school.
    Lots of photos all over social media of smiling happy wee faces...long may they
    Best Wishes 

Brightness