possible scam call — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

possible scam call

jaknit
jaknit Community member Posts: 30 Connected
missed call, message left to contact DWP the number was a glasgow landline 0141. asked how i i would know call genuine reply you called me on a DWP number. asked for my address gave first line only. asked for DOB gave day and month only. said he had decided to award me PIP but I needed to answer a few questions first. I told him i was not allowed to speak with dwp if i was on my own. he said he would send a letter. recently won at tribunal but was this ccall genuine. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi 

If you won at tribunal then it isnt DWP  decision to award you you werre awarded at tribunal.

However DWP do contact you before making payment to ask if your bank details are correct and if you have had any hospital stays so it could also have been genuine

As you have the number maybe you could call back when somebody is with you
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,907 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

After a Tribunal win DWP do ask a few standard questions, have you been in hospital or prison rencently and also to confirm bank details. This is standard procedure after a Tribunal win. DWP didn't award you PIP though because the Tribunal did that. If it was genuine, then yes you will be sent a letter with those questions in.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jaknit
    i never give bank details especially to private landline. it couldbe someone working from home but then why claim it was a DWP  number. DWP are not supposed to call me anyway.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    They dont ask for your bank details just to confirm they have not changed they already have your details if they are paying you

They will send a letter for confirmation and you can respond to that but it is just quicker if done over the phone rather than waiting for your reply, but if thats your preferred way of communication then they will send out the letter

• jaknit
    he also definitely said that he had decided to award me pip, i will wait for letter 
  • poppy123456
    If it was DWP and they are working from home then yes it will still be DWP. Just because they are working from home it doens't mean it wasn't them. There's still alot of DWP advisers working from home.

It's standard procedure to ask those questions before paying backdated money. If you prefer to do it the letter way then that's fine, it will just take much longer.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • jaknit
    i live in gtr manchester, caller was in glasgow i am going to wait for letter he was scottish phoning from glasgow i am going to wait for letter, my son says thats the right thing to do and not to call hik back
  • poppy123456
    It's entirely your decision what you do but ringing DWP yourself to give them the information will obviously be a lot quicker. To receive a letter and then return it with the information they ask for could add an extra 4 weeks onto the wait.
  • jaknit
    letter arrived 2 days later, it was probably genuine. one of my sons is filling in the form for me. says still right to be cautios, plus giving numbers over phone , i cant read numbers properly and get a stammer, they are not supposed to contact me by phone. it will take a little longer but better than money sooner getting paid into wrong account. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.