ESA ? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA ?

Options
Hi there I have a quick question . I could not get contribution esa because Of my partners income  I also hasn’t paid enough nhs contributions . I was only just told bout I could apply for pension credits or some thing would that go towards me possibly being able to apply for new style esa ? I know it will go towards a state pension for my self which is good . 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,023 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Hi,

Contributions based ESA no longer exists, it's now called New style ESA and to claim this and receive the payments you need to have worked and paid the correct amount of NI contributions in tax years April 2017 to March 2019, it's not means tested and your partners earnings will not affect the amount you can claim. Although if you haven't paid enough NI contributions in those tax years then you can't claim it and receive the money.

You can claim NS/ESA for the NI credits only but you'll need a fit note from your GP to be able to claim this and you'll need to go through the work capability assessment process to determine whether you have limited capability for work. (simialr to the PIP assessment but different criteria)  The NI credits from this are class 1 but they won't help you to receive the money, it will be a credits only claim.

Universal Credit is another option but it's means tested and claiming this will totally depend on your partners earnings. As it's means tested then you'll need to claim as couple. If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you'll be excluded from claiming. Use a benefits calculator to check entitlement. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=cec373f6-a2fe-4187-8e4c-eb909c88ec2f

You can't claim pension credit unless you're of state pension age.

It may also be worth checking your state pension forecast to see how many more years you need. Of course i don't know your age but thought i'd mention this. https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

Hope this helps.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,286 Pioneering
    Options
    Thanks so much poppy I I have already been told I’m only entitled to pip because of my partners income . That’s why interesting thanks for all of that . Looks like I can only apply for pip . My nurse was saying maybe I could do some part time cleaning or some thing less stressful next year . But I don’t think I can attempt to go back work for a long time . 
  • poppy123456
    edited September 2020
    Options
    You're welcome,

It may still be worth checking your pension forecast to see how many more years of NI contributions you need,
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,286 Pioneering
    Options
    I’m in my early 30s x 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Ok thanks. For NI credits towards your state pension then a claim for New Style ESA credits only can be made but a fit note will be needed from your GP and a work capability assessment will also be completed.

If you have children under 12 then NI credits towards your state pension are paid through child benefit.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.