SCOPE POLL: Should Scope charity shops feature Mannequals in their window or shop displays? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

SCOPE POLL: Should Scope charity shops feature Mannequals in their window or shop displays?

Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
edited August 2020 in Coffee lounge
Mannequals are mannequins where the individual uses a wheelchair. They were designed by Sophie Morgan to make the fashion industry more accessible and change the standard mannequin that has stood the test of time.

If you could vote in the poll and then write your reason why below that would be great!

3 mannequins that are using a wheelchair
Scope

SCOPE POLL: Should Scope charity shops feature Mannequals in their window or shop displays? 14 votes

Yes!
85%
AlexcoletChloe_ScopeParrot123ppaulDenise11Anne_ScopeGrinchym_burrell82RAwarriorCher_Alumnitommymcfc22 12 votes
No...
14%
leeCalwoodbine 2 votes

Comments

• RAwarrior
    RAwarrior Community member Posts: 430 Pioneering
    Yes!
    @Chloe_Scope
    I must admit I had never heard of a Mannequal and I think it’s a wonderful idea?
  • colet
    colet CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 101 Pioneering
    edited August 2020
    Yes!
    I think that they really supports what scope is all about 

about time that there is a bit more about disabilities in towns not enough is out there about us that’s I jjoined this community 
  • tommymcfc22
    tommymcfc22 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Yes!
    Are scope shops open ?
  • PattiDarling
    PattiDarling Scope Member Posts: 11 Connected
    With so many very real and immediate problems to struggle with, does it really matter what manequins look like? Who the hell looks at them anyway?A dummy in a wheelchair would draw attention and be a really useful guide to how a garment will hide or reveal when seen from that angle. I'm sure I'm not the only girlie who thinks 'I like this dress  but how many people on foot will be able to see straight down my cleavage?' or' If I raise my leg to cross one over the other or to hoof the foot plate into position will the skirt keep me covered or will I flash ?'
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    No...

Do you think Scope charity shops feature Mannequals in their window or shop displays? 

No I don’t think they do. I haven’t seen one.
    i do think they might very well do so as it’s in keeping with their reason for existing.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• davegregson40
    davegregson40 Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
     absolutely no problem.In fact a very good and constructive idea and an opportunity to take 
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Basis of a good idea, but a) confirming an unfortunate cliche stereotype that the words 'disabled' and 'wheelie' are the  same. b) too bulky and space hungry for most window display spaces. c) would be seen as a waste of funds, unless the fake wheelchair is obviously made of a cardboard cut out.

A similar idea might be to use every imaginative way to suggest a range of disability (and age, race, size, too).  Not using n.h.s. crutches though, because  although most hospitals  refuse to take them back, the public won't  know, so they will get a vague idea Scope is stealing supplies!  

Not cliche stereotype of old = walking stick, either. Maybe  cardboard cut out props painted black or white, to suggest w/chair, crutches, sticks, hearing aids, blindness,? Plus sometimes missing limb on models?

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes!
    @newborn You make a really good point.  It's important to reflect the diverse range of impairments people experience so mannequins should come in different body types as-well as in wheelchairs.  

It's great that this subject is getting more attention and thought and mannequals are a good first step (or wheel!) to having more inclusive high streets. 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • melaniethorley
    melaniethorley Community member Posts: 138 Pioneering
    Hi Chloe. Is there anyway I can share this poll with my students?

Thanks, as always
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes!
    Hi @melaniethorley! People would need to make a community account to make a comment. However, I am more than happy  for you to share the thoughts of your students on their behalf. :)
    Scope

• ppaul
    ppaul Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Yes!
    By all means yes, (though I'm not keen on the word 'Mannequal').
  • Parrot123
    Parrot123 Community member Posts: 137 Pioneering
    Yes!
    Mannequals are mannequins where the individual uses a wheelchair. They were designed by Sophie Morgan to make the fashion industry more accessible and change the standard mannequin that has stood the test of time.

If you could vote in the poll and then write your reason why below that would be great!

3 mannequins that are using a wheelchair
    Lol ? what is a mannnaquel??????? 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    No...
    I think mannequins whatever their design are outdated and take up valuable selling space.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• m_burrell82
    m_burrell82 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 171 Pioneering
    Yes!
    I think they would look good and attract folk to the store.

Brightness