Can I get a grant? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I get a grant?

katieb90
katieb90 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
Hi I was recently made homeless I have been offered a council house is there any grants I can get to help with white goods and carpets and stuff as I don’t have a lot of money thanks 

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    Morning @katieb90

Congratulations on the offer of a council house, I hope you can go on to make it a lovely home  :)

Here at Scope we have a Grants Checker Tool that can help you find grants to buy white goods.  Try entering your details there and let us know how you get on.  Good luck!

Also it might be worth enquiring with your council about whether they have a local welfare assistance scheme.  If they do, one purpose of this is to help with the provision and replacement of essential white goods and furniture.  If you can contact the benefits department to enquire, I'd recommend it.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,029 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

If you're claiming certain means tested benefits like Income Related ESA/JSA or Income Support then you can claim a budgeting loan from DWP. Or if you're claiming Universal Credit then it's called a budgeting advance. How much you can claim depends on your circumstances but it needs to be repaid back from future benefits.

Also have a look on gumtree or facebook selling groups because sometimes people give these away free and also sometimes people sell them very cheaply.

Speak to your local council also because sometimes they have grants available to those on low income but it does depend on your local council.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @katieb90, please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @katieb90 Welcome to the community glad you have joined us here. I hope you find some of the links helpful and great news you have got somewhere to live now

Just concentrate on the essentials other stuff you can get over time, may go to car boot sales you wont get white goods but maybe other stuff  very cheap

Brightness