if i moved out — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

if i moved out

nightwars
nightwars Community member Posts: 12 Listener
edited September 2020 in Housing and independent living
im autistic and i havent been on my own before, i tend to forget things very often like if im not reminded i will forget my antidepressants and things like that, plus when my parents gave me a trial being on my own when they were on holiday, i always remembered to feed the dog, but i didnt eat myself, my question is, what kind of help can i get if i cant/dont live with parents any more..... im 27

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Before you do anything you should speak to social services. Refer yourself for a needs assessment https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/getting-a-needs-assessment/

Thinking ahead also, are your parents able to help you if you do move out? Any other family members that could help to support you?

It will really depend on how much help/support you need.

My daughter has ASD and a learning disability and she's 20 in a few months time, she lives with me. She wouldn't be able to live alone without quite a lot of support for preparing/cooking meals, changing bedding, washing/bathing, reminding to change clothes, what to wear for the weather outside, help in the community for traveling, shopping. The only thing she can do extremely well is clean and she's amazing at that. Her OCD shows through with this.

Personally, i think it maybe a good idea to write a list of things you think you may need some help and support with, if you're unsure of this then ask your parents what their thoughts are.

The needs assessment will help to see if there's any support they can offer you, although you will most likely have to pay towards the cost of this.

Hope this helps a little.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @nightwars I hope thre advice Poppy has given will help you make a start with finding out about moving out of your parents.

I think you need to think of all the implications of this apart from the care element, the pressure of financial impact eg bills, service providers, where you will live, how you will furnish the property and get all essentials 

It is a very stressful event to undertake moving house is known to be one of the high stress events 

But I wish you luck and hope you can try and get the independance you are wanting
  • Chieng47
    Chieng47 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    One thing i've found that helps is to write a list of what you need to do, not just pay bills etc but things like personal care also.

Maybe put two or three around the house so when you see it you can think "have I done this today"
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @nightwars! I hope you're well.

I just wanted to ask how you'd been getting on? Have you thought about referring yourself for a needs assessment, as Poppy suggested? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • nightwars
    nightwars Community member Posts: 12 Listener
    @poppy123456 does my pip form count?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    If you mean will it help with any support you could receive? then it's unlikely. Please see the link i posted above about the needs assessment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @nightwars! How are you doing? :)
    Scope

Brightness