hearing — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

hearing

nanda
nanda Community member Posts: 4 Connected
have a telephone hearing and no legal representation 

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @nanda and thank you for posting.

The Turn2Us website has a Find an Adviser tool that can help you find someone to give you representation in your area if you enter your postcode.  

Please let us know how you get on and good luck  :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @nanda Welcome to the community glad you haver joined us

What sort of telephone hearing do you have is it a PIP tribunal hearing

You dont really need any legal representation and lots of people just represent themselves it is all about being prepared

Let us know if you want any help and support also you may want to look at our PIP section as there are lots of posts on there about going through thr tribunal
  • nanda
    nanda Community member Posts: 4 Connected
    just want to hear from anyone who has had any hearing over the phone, what can i expect and how to react to the whole process
    thank you
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I would take a look at our PIP section there are lots of posts on there abut telephone hearings and assessments 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited September 2020
    Hi @Username_removed. Thank you for the feedback.
    The team work hard to source information and I wouldn’t call @Cher_Scope’s link to another trusted charity (Turn2Us) ‘dodgy’. I concur that AdviceLocal may be a better choice though. 

Interesting to note though that my local Jobcentre Plus does indeed have people helping with disability benefit applications and appeals (although they don’t represent cases.)

With regard to @janer1967’s comment: I’ve read over her post and believe she meant it as in ‘you don’t have to have’, not that she was saying this specific case doesn’t require representation. It’s also something frequently posted here in response to people asking for where to find a rep.

@Nanda: looking at your previous posts am I right in thinking it’s an upper tribunal you’re waiting on? Have you been given a date for this? Have you had any help up until this point? Unfortunately, Scope aren’t qualified to offer the level of advice needed for upper tribunal.

You would be best following the link to AdviceLocal and seeing if there is an adviser local to you who could help. I hope some of our members may be able to share their experiences of upper tribunals with you.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited September 2020
    Hi @Username_removed I’ve removed the first part of your message as while we do allow criticism of Scope and Scope staff, this did seem quite targeted on a specific member of the team. I’m happy to discuss the merits of our work with you via email if you would like. mikehughescq said:
    I’d be genuinely interested to know more about your specific JCP offer. Not least because JCP staff receive no training in disability benefits nor form completion. Having seen the standard of those done by Pension Service staff they are literally the just people on the planet I would let near such forms.
    The first I heard about it was when a neighbour was referred to the service by her UC work coach after a failed DLA claim for her child. They helped her with her MR (which was successful) and then with a separate DLA claim for another child. I do agree though, I wouldn’t usually trust JCP for advice on benefits and have personally been given some shocking advice there.

I believe (although I admit I haven’t looked into it a great deal) that rather than being JCP staff it’s another agency using space within the JCP office and in addition to offering a walk-in service, claimants can be referred to them.

Best of luck with your tribunal @Nanda. If you have any specific questions about it please don’t hesitate to ask. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.