Would I get a disability premium or not?? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Would I get a disability premium or not??

mdb
mdb Community member Posts: 3 Listener
As it stands i get UC standard rate,  as well as LWRCA  medium  term,  which I presume is 2 yrs??  Is this actually new style ESA??  That I am on? 
Had to fight to get PIP & took 7 months to be awarded,  got the standard daily living & enhanced motability. 
Now whilst when you read about disabled premium  its broken into 3 group's,  & 3 different rates. Q is am I entitled to one or 2 of them?? When you read certain sections of benifits it says yes then others contradict itself.  
As certain information says it would be added on automatically,  
Thanks in advance for clarity 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    Hi and welcome,

New style ESA isn't part of UC, it's a contributions based only benefit, so it's UC you're claiming.

There's no disability premiums payable when claiming either UC or New style ESA. They are only payable when claiming the old legacy benefits sych as Income Related ESA/JSA and Income Support.

Also, LCWRA is an ongoing award and will continue until a decision's been made on your next review. You can be reassessed anytime from 3 months. You can ring to ask how long your award is for but this is nothing more than a guide.

Hope this helps make it more clear.

Also to add, may i ask do you claim UC with a partner? If you do then they can claim the carers element of UC if they look after you for at least 35 hours per week. This will give you an extra £160 per month.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mdb
    Morning,  thank you for the breakdown  on above information.  
    No partner. 
    Single person claim 
    One other thing that sprang into my mind, when I was working 16 hrs  & also getting working tax credits from HMRC  I was in receipt of the  disability element  of £29.55.  Would this payment I had for several years of made any difference to when I signed on,  ? 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. The disability element that you were claiming for tax credits no longer exists because you're now claiming UC. You're also receiving the LCWRA element, which is the limited capability for work, so won't be entitled to anymore than you're already claiming.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • mdb
    Thank you poppy123456. 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.