Carers disregard? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers disregard?

Options
Cress
Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
Just found out that carers disregard had not been applied to my council tax bill.
Have arranged to have the necessary form sent out but wondered how likely are my council to agree to backdate   this?
So annoyed that I put all the relevant details in about what benefits myself and son received ie Income support, carers allowance, esa income based and enhanced Pip for both...but apparently this is something I have to apply for separately...how am I supposed to apply for something I dont know exists?
Whenever I've queried anything with welfare rights they've said I'm getting what I should....was only when I asked at CAB they said I wasn't....surely welfare rights should have spotted this years ago?
So flippin annoying....

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Cress This must be so annoying and ope you get it sorted , it just goes to show that unless you have knowledge of the whole benefits system you are not made aware of what you are entitled to

It isnt something I have heard of either
  • Cress
    Options
    It's annoying because they ask for and get provided with so much info...this is the fourth time now I've found I or my son has been under paid benefits or overpaying council tax....the guy at the CAB said how the benefit system wasn't  rocket science...it was way more complicated...lol
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I agree some of it is ok but it is coming on forums like this where you learn some of the things you are entitled to

When I had to finish work I think I maybe should have gone onto new style ESA rather than UC but this was never mentioned to me it looked like UC was the only option open to me
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh that is annoying @cress.  I'm glad you've found out now but its frustrating thinking of all the years you weren't made aware of your entitlement.  Everyday I learn something new myself on here about the benefits system.    
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,023 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Hi,

All local councils have their own criteria for council tax reduction but i do know it's extremely difficult to get anything backdated from any council regarding council tax reduction. You may have to fight this, if you are entitled to anything.

The carers discount will only apply if you are the only 2 adults living in the property. If you are then you'll receive a 25% single person discount. https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/financial-support/help-with-household-finances/council-tax-rate-relief

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cress
    Options
    Thanks @poppy123456
    I had a 25% discount because of the severe mental impairment of my son, but apparently should be getting 50% with the carers disregard....
    Cant understand why it wasn't applied when they have always had this info...was told I had to apply for it...which, as I say, I didnt because I didnt know it existed....
    I'll ask them nicely, lol.
    I did manage to get the smi backdated from when they didnt apply it after I told them of change of circumstances, ie. My younger son left for uni, returned home after completing his degree then left again.
    Thanks for the advice poppy...

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.