Payment from PIP after requesting Mandatory Reconsideration - a new decision or error? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Payment from PIP after requesting Mandatory Reconsideration - a new decision or error?

DanaScully
DanaScully Community member Posts: 15 Connected
Hi 

I made my first claim for PIP a few months back and received my decision letter back awarding no points. I called on 3rd August and requested mandatory reconsideration and advised I would provide more information and additional evidence in writing. 

The lady I spoke to confirmed there wasn't really a deadline to send this in as there are currently ongoing delays, so as I've not been very good health wise I haven't sent them anything as yet.

Today my partner has checked our online banking and a PIP payment has gone in yesterday amounting to over £1000. I haven't had a text message or letter to advise that they have changed their decision so I'm not sure if it's an error on their part or if the person who has reconsidered my claim has decided to award me?

Grateful for any insight.

Thank you. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome, you often find that payment is made before you get a letter awarding you so this may be the case, you can either wait a few days until you get a letter or call them and ask what has happened

It is lucky for you if they have changed the decision without the further evidence but maybe they had all they needed.

Success rates for MR are now a lot better in the region of 53%
  • DanaScully
    janer1967 said:
    Hi and welcome, you often find that payment is made before you get a letter awarding you so this may be the case, you can either wait a few days until you get a letter or call them and ask what has happened

It is lucky for you if they have changed the decision without the further evidence but maybe they had all they needed.

Success rates for MR are now a lot better in the region of 53%
    Hi, thank you for your reply.

I'll be pleased as punch if this is the case! I'm just trying to do the maths to work out what I might have been awarded and it looks like I've possibly got standard for both DL and Mobility, but will wait and see if a letter comes through (will update here whenever that is). 

Cheers. :) 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It's not unusual for the money to go into your bank before a letter is received but you should receive the decision letter within the next week or so. It's unlikely to be any error though so great news on the MR decision changing.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • DanaScully
    Hi,

It's not unusual for the money to go into your bank before a letter is received but you should receive the decision letter within the next week or so. It's unlikely to be any error though so great news on the MR decision changing.
    Hi, thank you for your reply. 

I had hoped this was the case but I'm new to all of this so wanted to check. I'm really pleased as I was ready to give up after receiving nil points from the assessor! :):smiley:
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @DanaScully I have everything crossed for you, please keep us updated when anything is confirmed.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • DanaScully
    @DanaScully I have everything crossed for you, please keep us updated when anything is confirmed.
    Thank you! I'll update as soon as I can. I've got my eye on the letterbox! :) 
  • DanaScully
    Nothing to worry about at all. It’s an award. Those are the arrears and the letter will follow. The only concerning thing is yet again DWP giving terrible advice on the phone in suggesting you can send MR evidence in later. Once you make the phone call you’ve started the MR and they will make a new decision as fast as they can.

The reason for this is very simple. Although DWP continues to tell people you need new evidence for an MR it’s abject nonsense. The clue is in the word ‘reconsideration’. The obligation they have is to reconsider the evidence for the original decision. If you can throw in new relevant evidence then that’s great but the word mandatory is asking there for a reason. If you ask for an MR then they must do it whether you send in anything else or not. Asking is what starts the process rather than new evidence. 
    Thank you for your reply. I had hoped this would be the case, so to have it confirmed is wonderful. 

I had another couple of letters from professionals I was going to submit. I'd had to put SARs in for them when I originally started the claim and they didn't come back in time unfortunately. I did send a lot of information in with my original claim so it looks like that was enough for them.

I'm feeling victorious to receive an award after initially receiving nil points. It just goes to show that it's worth persevering, as stressful as the process can be.
  • DanaScully
    Good afternoon, here with an update as promised! Received my Mandatory Reconsideration Notice today confirming I've been awarded the standard rate of both daily living and mobility until June 2023. 

I'm over the moon with the result! Thank you for all of the responses and support. :)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Great news thanks for updating another MR success seems to be a turning point 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.