PIP application for 16 year old son — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP application for 16 year old son

schmoosan
schmoosan Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, I'm filling out the forms on behalf of my son, as his appointee, he currently gets DLA. He has autism, adhd, scoliosis and he is partially deaf.
The part about preparing food... well he doesn't. He can make toast and cereal but he doesn't cook. But I wouldn't expect a 16 year old to be cooking and preparing his own meals. I wouldn't trust him with a sharp knife, but does that make him unable to do it? He doesnt know how to cook but again, does it make him unable to do it?
I hate these forms

Comments

• Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    I think a 16 year old would be able to prepare a meal, simple or otherwise depending on how enthusiastic they are.
    Has he ever attempted using a knife? My son does like to use one but he uses it like a hammer so it gets scary..lol
    My son has moderate to severe learning difficulties.
    He likes to help in food prep but will not touch anything hot, wont even make a hot drink with one of those hot water dispensers. 
    People would always say, oh, but he could make a sandwich, well no he cant. No matter how he tries he cannot get the gist of holding a knife at an angle to spread anything, he just digs holes.
    The only thing I can say is if you dont trust your son with a knife then you have your answer.
    Only you know what he's capable of at the moment.
    You could I suppose try some tasks and note exactly what happened when he attempted them.
    Sorry, I'm pretty rubbish at advise but there are plenty of very good advice givers on this site..lol
    The forms are a nightmare...good luck with your claim
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Sorry...welcome!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

Not knowing how to cook isn't going to score him any points. Could he learn how to do this if he was showed how to?

Why don't you trust him to prepare food? Does his need assistance? If so why? You also need to add a couple of recent real world examples of what happened the last time he attempted this activity, stating who was with him, where it happened and what exactly happened. You should do this for all descriptors that apply to him, not just this one.

Just writing "he doens't know how to" or you don't trust him with a knife isn't going to help.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • schmoosan
    schmoosan Community member Posts: 2 Listener
     poppy123456 said:
    Just writing "he doens't know how to" or you don't trust him with a knife isn't going to help. 
    Exactly my point. 
    It's very difficult when they are at an age when most would only really just be learning these skills

thanks for the help, both of you  :smile:  
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    I would disagree with this. I have 3 children, all adults now. My eldest son and daughter were both able to prepare and cook a meal well before they reached 16. Infact, my eldest daughter used to share the cooking with me when she lived at home because i have a disability she helped me a lot.

My youngest daughter is 19 and still lives at home, like your son she has ASD, a learning disability and social anxiety disorder but she needs assistance to be able to prepare a meal and even with assistance she has cut herself quite a few times, with the most recent being just a couple of weeks ago. She forgets to turn the hob off and leaves pans on the top and quite a few times i've gone behind her and removed them and turned the hob off. She needs step by step instructions verbally and you need to watch her closely. She forgets things so easily and i have to constantly remind her how to do something.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi just to add I have a 14 year old son  with no disability and he is able to cook and prepare a basic meal on his own, like beans on toast, microwave meals, and he helps me as I am disabled. He can even bake cakes and scones with a bit of prompting. So I would say that a child of that age in normal circumstances would be able to do the task

So if your son is unable to for reasons other than not having learnt how to then fill in the form with the reasons why

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.