Do I need to inform DWP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do I need to inform DWP?

Boomtown
Boomtown Community member Posts: 15 Connected
Hi I suffer with chronic pain I also suffer with depression and anxiety I wear two morphine patches I take a mixture of other tablets making it around  36 a day and recently was advised by OT  that I now need the use of a wheelchair the referral was done through my GP has well this was so done before covid  came but things have moved forward now and I got my wheelchair on Wednesday do I need to in form DWP 

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Boomtown

How are you today? 

You ask if you need to inform the DWP, what benefit is this in relation to? 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Boomtown
    ESA contribution based i think the one where i hsve to pay for all my prescriptions dental work eyes test ect ect
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,320 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    Hi,

No, this isn't classed as a change of circumstances. If you are already in the Support Group then you can't get a higher award than this for ESA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Boomtown - I'm sorry you now need a wheelchair, but hope it may give you a bit more independence. If you are in receipt of a benefit such as PIP, then you are asked to let the DWP know if your circumstances change in that your condition may have worsened/improved. Unless a worsening of your condition means you may be entitled to a higher rate of PIP, then there is no need to let them know, just leave mentioning this until your next review.
    Have a look at the following info on the activities/descriptors to check if you think you could gain more points & therefore a higher rate of PIP. If you already receive the enhanced rate for both components (activities of daily living & mobility) then there would be no point in notifying the DWP of a change in circumstances. Please see: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Scores-for-PIP-Descriptors-2020.pdf
    Hope this helps, if not please say. :)

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Boomtown I am sorry to hear you condition has got worse and now you are using a wheelchair

How are you adapting to using it ? they can be quite a challenge at first. I still bang into doors and things but maybe thats just my eyesight

Self propelled chairs are very hard to use when outdoors and the surface isnt flat, and reaching stuff off supermarket shelves and high worktops. But you will soon adapt

I have a power chair now which I use outdoors as it saves somebody having to push me everywhere

Good luck with it all
  • Boomtown
    Thanks for that 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.