Long term sickness - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Long term sickness

2»

Comments

• KarenA
    KarenA Community member Posts: 44 Connected
    Ber bubby is a lovely man but not the sort of person to help with this. You need your wits about you I think to make sure you are not being misrepresented. He would let them railroad her 
  • KarenA
    She says she has done so and cant claim. Really she needs re housing but she wont let me chase anyone up over that too. I think it must be a sort of depression affecting her. She hasn't been outside except for several 999 rides to hospital for about three years now. I dont know how she keeps going. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    That's a very long way to travel everytime a form needs filling or she needs help with something. When you do see her i'd advise you to sit down with her and do that benefits calculator with her, just to make sure she did it correctly. It would be Universal Credit they would need to claim.

May i ask if she's ever had a needs assessment from her local council? If she hasn't then she can refer herself and they will assess her and hopefully be able to help her. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/getting-a-needs-assessment/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • KarenA
    Thanks Poppy. I'll take a look. She was assessed some while ago on one of her returns home from hospital. The physio referred her. They agreed her housing wasnt suitable because she cant get out the front or back door because of deep step and the doorways arent wide enough to fit a wheelchair through so they wont build a ramp. She has no privacy because the downstairs is open plan, so even when she is strong enough to leave her bed(if that day ever comes again) she has to use a commode in an open plan environment. But it was months and months ago, if not a year, but she wont chase them or let me chase them. It's very frustrating. But I keep chipping away. At least she will let me help her with PIP.. 
  • KarenA
    To be honest, you wouldnt keep a dog like this. No access to outside in over three years. Not felt the sun on her face in all that time. 
  • poppy123456
    I'm sorry to hear that, it's very sad indeed. Just being able to go outside in the garden would be a huge help to her mentally.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • KarenA
    Yeah it would. Once her legs are better, I'm hoping she could rent a powered chair so that she could at least go and sit by the patio window when its sunny. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,822 Scope online community team
    Hi @KarenA. I noticed you said that her husband's wages are quite low. It may be worth revisiting what @poppy123456 said regarding Universal Credit.
    When doing a calculation she needs to check if she was to have a health assessment and be awarded LCW/LCWRA whether she'd then be entitled to some UC then. If awarded, this would then give her class 3 NI credits. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • KarenA
    Oh thank you. I've not heard of that. I'll look it up.
  • poppy123456

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.