Hi, my name is helen1950! The PIP form looks complicated, could I get some advice on filling it in? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is helen1950! The PIP form looks complicated, could I get some advice on filling it in?

helen1950
helen1950 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have been advised by my doctor doctor to fill in PIP form as I now have athritus affecting my spine.  The form looks so complicated and doctor told me to fill in carefully

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    Hello and welcome to the community @helen1950

Just to let you know, I've moved your post into the PIP category

It's perfectly understandable that you'd feel a bit overwhelmed when first looking at the PIP form. Which bits of the form do you think look particularly complicated? If you expand a bit more on what you're worried about, our members will be more able to give you some specific advice :)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    Hi @helen1950 - & welcome to the community. The most important thing to remember is that PIP is about the functional problems you have with activities of daily living, &/mobility. Have a look at the link below, which shows the activities/descriptors & where points may be gained. Please see: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Scores-for-PIP-Descriptors-2020.pdf
    For each applicable descriptor give a couple of recent, detailed examples as to the difficulty you faced. Why was it difficult, what happened, what, if any, were the consequences of doing/attempting it & could you do it reliably, i.e. to an acceptable standard, could you repeat the activity as often as you would normally wish, could you do it safely, did it take you a long time, etc?
    Just do a little at a time, & if you need more time, ring the DWP & ask for this....they will normally say you can have a couple more weeks. Any questions, please do ask, as there's usually someone here who can advise. Hope this helps. :) .

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @helen1954 Welcome to the community glad you have joined us here and you have been given some advice which I hope helps you

Just follow the form and for each

descriptor write how your condition affects you doing the task, any aids you use any support or help you need. Dont just put you cant do something explain why you cant do it

Take your time you can sometimes get help filling in the forms from CAB

Keep us updated on the outcome
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    As well as CAB it might be worth trying welfare rights if there's one in your area.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @helen1950! How are you feeling today?

Here is a website that breaks down all of the different PIP descriptors. This should make it a bit easier to understand and to see if you meet the criteria. 

Please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

• Kittyc
    Kittyc Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
    Definately use your disability rights officer at your local council.  They were fabulous with me.  I also studied the descripters.  Take your time and use extra sheet to explain everything.  Good luck x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.