Sight loss help and advice — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Sight loss help and advice

jl1980
jl1980 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello

I’m new to the forum and writing on behalf of my father. 
Over the past couple of years he’s been losing his mobility and now he’s rapidly losing his sight which he is struggling to adjust to.

He doesn’t have a friendship circle and is quite isolated.

He’s currently spending most of his days literally doing nothing and the impact on his mental health is quite obvious. 

He used to love puzzles, stamp collecting and watching old films and isn’t able to do any of these currently.

I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions on things (tech or aids etc) that help make life easier with sight loss? It’s happening quite suddenly and he’s not had time to get used to it. He’s sadly also not very tech-savvy (he got his first ever mobile phone just two years ago and still hasn’t worked it out!).

Please help with any suggestions 

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jl1980! Thank you for joining the community. It's really nice that you're looking out for your Dad. 

Many of our members are visually impaired, so I'm sure they'll have some great suggestions on useful technology, aids, and equipment. 

I've moved your post into the Disability Aids and Equipment category, which will make it easier for our other members to find and answer your question. I'd also recommend that you take a look through the Visual and Hearing Impairment category.

Scope also has some useful information on the advice and support section of the website. For example, here's a page on how to find the right equipment and assistive technology.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community, I am sorry to hear a out your dads eyesight I too am vlind in one eye and visual impaired in the other and it all happened very quick.

It is very hard to adjust to so I appreciate how he is feeling, is he under the hospital ay all for this if so they should be able to recommend some solutions also the link below

Visual Impairment – RNIB Website: https://www.rnib.org.uk/ Helpline: 0303 123 9999 Email: helpline@rnib.org.uk

There are a lot of tools and aids out there it is just finding the right ones for the person, also his GP or optician maybe can suggest some stuff

I use a magnifying glass that is like a pair of glasses to help me read but only good for close work but I find the great for reading and using my phone

THere are also quite a few posts on here from people in the same situation which may give some useful tips
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jl1980, how are you and your dad doing?

I am partially sighted myself and started to lose my sight about 3 years ago. All the information below has been taken from the RNIB website. I some of it is helpful.

You're not alone. We understand the emotional impact of sight loss and can help you cope with the changes in your life.

If you haven't already, you might find it helpful to meet with one of our hospital-based Eye Clinic Liaison Officers (ECLOs), or consider talking to someone outside your circle of family and friends. We offer free confidential telephone and online counselling to help you deal with your feelings.

We can also help you to better understand your eye condition and treatment, apply for helpful benefits and concessions and much more. If you can't find what you're looking for our website, call us on 0303 123 9999.

Here are some other articles that might help:
    Scope

• Sparklebright63
    Sparklebright63 Scope Member Posts: 182 Courageous
    Hi to all,

I have an hospital  appointment for March due to my injured toe and also sight support comming to see me aswell in March so hopefully they will be able to advise me as when I have filled my hot water bottle for my back I have 2 overfilled it and burnt my hand as I don't know the level to fill it correctly without doing the above.
    Result very pink hand I put straight under the tap.

So hopefully the sight advisor will be able to help with the above.

Sparklebright63.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    Could a liquid level indicator help @Sparklebright63? You can clip them to mugs and glasses, but I'm unsure about a hot water bottle. I'm sure the sight advisor will be able to give you some tips :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness