Notional Capital — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Notional Capital

sandman
sandman Community member Posts: 3 Listener
If I use some inheritance money to purchase a disabled accessible property to live in will the DWP and Housing Benefit still regard it as Notional Capital despite my Housing Support officer confirming that I am living in an unsuitable property at present? I would appreciate some advice on this rather "greyarea", thanks. I am in the Support ESA group and am in receipt of Standard living PIP and the Enhanced Mobility Rate.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sandman Welcome to the community, Im not an expert in this field but will tag in another champion who should be able to herlp

@poppy123456 Can you advise here please 
  • sandman
    Thanks Janer 1967. Much appreciated.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,909 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,.

It's unlikely that your benefits will stop if you bought a house. Although, you mention inheritance, do you have access to that money in your bank account at the moment? If you do then you will need to report the changes and if the money is more than £16,000 then all your means tested benefits will stop.

PIP isn't affected because that's not means tested. If you're claiming housing benefit then this will stop. If any of your ESA is Income Related then this will also stop.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I may be wrong but if you bought a house then would you still get housing benefit ?as there would be no rent to pay ? 
  • poppy123456
    janer1967 said:
    I may be wrong but if you bought a house then would you still get housing benefit ?as there would be no rent to pay ? 

No because as you said, there's no rent to pay.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • sandman
    Thanks. I don't have access to money yet as probate is still awaiting clearance. Thanks for your input.
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome.
    When the money goes into your bank you must report the changes and your means tested benefits will stop. There will be no disregard in order to buy a house. The disregard only applies when selling your current home and buying another.

Brightness