Face shields for disabled - Covid 19 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Face shields for disabled - Covid 19

April
April Community member Posts: 110 Pioneering
I have a problem and I hope someone can help me.
My son is severely disabled (quadriplegia) and he wants to go back to his activities but he can't wear a mask.
It distresses him because his voice and expressions are all he has, and he feels trapped behind a mask.

Anyway, does anyone know of a company that makes face shields suitable for the disabled? I've seen some lovely children's ones, but he is an adult. The perspex on the children's face shields look soft, which is what he needs. The hard perspex on the adult face shields would dig into him because he moves his head a lot.

Has anyone had a similar problem and managed to solve it? My son wants to wear something to protect himself, so going back to his activities without anything at all is not an option for him.

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @April

Our brilliant @Richard_scope has recommended The Shield website for a suitable face visor for your son. 

Please let us know how you get on with this and I really hope your son is able to return to his activities soon.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • April
    April Community member Posts: 110 Pioneering
    Thank you so much @Cher_Scope and @Richard_Scope. These message boards are so helpful. I get so much help from here! 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem, give us a shout whenever you need us  :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @April Welcome on board look forward to seeing you around
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    April said:
    I have a problem and I hope someone can help me.
    My son is severely disabled (quadriplegia) and he wants to go back to his activities but he can't wear a mask.
    It distresses him because his voice and expressions are all he has, and he feels trapped behind a mask.

Anyway, does anyone know of a company that makes face shields suitable for the disabled? I've seen some lovely children's ones, but he is an adult. The perspex on the children's face shields look soft, which is what he needs. The hard perspex on the adult face shields would dig into him because he moves his head a lot.

Has anyone had a similar problem and managed to solve it? My son wants to wear something to protect himself, so going back to his activities without anything at all is not an option for him.
    If he has those problems as severe as that he should be exempt from having to wear a mask in the first place IMO, go on the NHS website and see if you can print out an exemption card for him.

Brightness