External Ramp Advice — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

External Ramp Advice

Options
JoleneD
JoleneD Community member Posts: 5 Connected
Hi all,
I’m looking at getting an external ramp into the back garden and going privately for this. I don’t want to have to go through the OT assessment as it’s quite costly and don’t really know what benefit it’ll be as they can’t help with finding builders etc. I want a ramp that is bricked/looks natural and wondered if anyone had gone down this route and had recommendations of builders/companies they have used before. I live in the north east so companies based there are preferred! Thanks in advance.
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there welcome to the community 

I hope someone can give you recommendations but it us sometimes useful to ask for them on a face book selling site so they are local 

Using the oh service may be of help as often the council will do the work 
  • JoleneD
    JoleneD Community member Posts: 5 Connected
    Options
    Thanks for the response.

I have already been on to the council and they are only willing to supply the basic metal ramp which I’m not keen on and as it’s means tested I’d have to pay for the anyway so feel I’d rather pay for something I actually want!

In terms of the selling pages I’ve already made a few posts but wondered if any individuals on here actually had some direct experience. It’s always useful getting perspective from wheelchair users rather than just able bodied individuals all the time!

Thanks.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No problem I get that you dint want the metal ramp

I am a wheelchair user but sorry dont know any builders 

I hope other members can assist 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,655 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have you tried trusted trader or rated people, we recently got a gardener for a one off job through TT and had no problems
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @JoleneD, hope you're well :) 

I hope some of the advice you've been given has helped you out, fingers crossed you can get a ramp that you're happy with. I personally don't have any knowledge in this area.

If you ever need anything don't hesitate to ask on this community as you have done today :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness