Is sleep Apnoea a disability? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is sleep Apnoea a disability?

RSISolutions
RSISolutions Community member Posts: 128 Courageous
Is sleep Apnoea a disability? Can it qualify for a disability Benefit? If the person who has it has to use a machine because it's so bad. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community, I dont have an answer but the disability benefits are all about how your condition affects your daily living

Things like, eating, preparing food, washing, bathing, toileting , finances , communication etc

I dont know if they take sleep time into account maybe others have an answer for you

Have a look through the PIP descriptors and see if you think you would score any points 

I presume ity is PIP you were referring to
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    Hi @RSISolutions, how are you today? 

Qualification for disability related benefits isn't so much about a diagnosis, it's more about how your condition impacts your daily living and mobility. 

If it's Employment and Support Allowance you're asking about, you can find information about qualifying for that benefit here, if it's Personal Independence Payment you're wondering about, you can find information about that here.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,317 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Using a machine at night will not score any points in any of the PIP descriptors if the person using it doesn't need any assistance.

Whether the person will score any points for any of the descriptors will totally depend on how their conditions affect them against the PIP descriptors.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • RSISolutions
    If the person cannot sleep well and ends up being lethargic and has irregualar sleeping pattern then surley this affects their ability to do day to day tasks. 
  • poppy123456
    It depends on whether they are affected against the PIP descriptors. No one can tell you that on an internet forum.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • RSISolutions
    This person stopped working a few months ago. Before that the person held a professional well paid job paying lots of NI contributions. This person has less than 6,000 pounds in savings. 
  • RSISolutions
    edited September 2020

During the day this person who has sleep Apnoea

• feels very tired
    • finds it hard to concentrate
    • has mood swings
    • has a headache when they wake up. 
    Since the have paid plenty of NI contributions, surley this must make them qualify for a type of disability benefit? 
  • poppy123456
    It's starting to get very confusing because you have 2 different threads with the same questions..
  • RSISolutions
    edited September 2020
    Can people with disabilities claim Universal Credit? 
  • poppy123456
    Can you please keep to the one thread rather than going back and for between the 2 because it's very difficult to keep up with the questions between 2 threads. Other thread here. https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/73927/is-sleep-apnoea-a-disability#latest

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Morning all.

Just to let you know I have closed this discussion because it is a duplicate thread. I would merge it with the other but to avoid confusion I will just close this one. 

Link to to other thread - https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/73927/is-sleep-apnoea-a-disability#latest
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.