Covid — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Covid

janejr
janejr Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
Hi everyone hope your all ok. Can anyone help me with this question. My daughter who is my carer has been tested positive for covid 19 and is at her home isolating. I've had a test which was negative but not sure if I still need to isolate. I was with my daughter the day before she became ill. Also because I have osteoarthritis in all my joints and I am waiting for a back operation because my disks are being squashed by my vertebrae and I'm 60 years old do I fit the at risk group that needs to shield because I'm disabled. Things are about to get worse and I'm worried that im an at risk group. Thank you x

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome as far as I am aware you should quarantine for 14 days even if tested negative as you could still be at risk 

You will be informed if you need to shield by letter just being disabled doesn't mean you have to shield it's only certain illnesses that put you at risk 

You could always check the gov website for up to date into 

I am sure other members will help too 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,322 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

The test you had could be a false negative and because you were with your daughter then i agree you should isolate for 14 days, you may not be showing symptoms now but you could in a few days and if you go near anyone or touch something then you could pass it onto someone else, which is why the advice is to isolate yourself.

As for shielding if you didn't receive the letter at the start of lockdown in March/April then you won't be in the most at risk group, although shielding in all areas of the UK has now ended.

This doesn't mean you couldn't still catch it from your daughter even if she wasn't showing symptoms when you were with her she may still have had it at that time.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @janejr

Sorry to hear about your daughter's diagnosis, hopefully she makes a speedy recovery.

Yes you should be self isolating despite the negative test.  You have recently been in close contact with someone who has got the virus. 

This NHS page explains when you need to self isolate and what to do.

Do you have other friends or family members who can help you out with things like shopping?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @janejr, how are you feeling this morning?

Just wanted to check in and see if you have the support you need. Here is some information about where you can get support if you are unable to access your normal care.
    Scope

Brightness