Do i need to see my doctor — Scope | Disability forum

Do i need to see my doctor

ketokid Member Posts: 32 Listener
Hi I've just been turned down for pip i only scored 2 points, I'm incontinent both ways and have had mental heath problems for years, The assessor didn't listen to anything i said during  the telephone assessment. my doctor has left the practice now he really knew about all my problems. . I've rang dwp and asked for a mandatory reconsideration. And I'm in the process of writing a letter, but I've watched a few vids on YouTube and they say a doctors letter is a must. Any info would be great thanks so much


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,592 Disability Gamechanger

    A letter from a doctor isn't needed at all because they won't know exactly how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors, they will only know the basics like a diagnosis, medication etc. A diagnosis is rarely in question for any PIP claim.

    What you need is anecdotal evidence from yourself. A couple of recent real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Adding who was with you, where you were and what exactly happened.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 15,898 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome sorry about your PIP application

    A letter from your GP is of no benefit unless it describes how your condition affects you on a daily basis and Gp do not tend to give this level of information as they do not see you completing the tasks.

    What is best is to go through the descriptors you think you should have scored points and give real examples of what happens when you try and do the task. How you do it do you need aids, or support, can you do the task if not why not

    Can you do it safely and repeatedly and timely

    If you need help who helps you

    It can also be helpful to do a daily diary and send this and also maybe a letter from somebody who sees you daily and what help you need

    Fingers crossed for the MR  there are lots of hints and tips from other members in the PIP section
  • ketokid
    ketokid Member Posts: 32 Listener
    Hi thanks for info, and  good advice  rang the doctors and they said they are not doing face to face appointments at the moment anyway. 


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.