What is the best place you've ever visited? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What is the best place you've ever visited?

Ross_Alumni
Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
edited September 2020 in Coffee lounge
Hello everyone :) 

I hope you are all well.

I'd love to hear about all the marvellous places you've visited in the world. Whether it be a particular city, country or landmark, what is your favourite place that you've been to so far?

For me, I'm not the most well travelled person in the world but from what I have experienced I would have to say Cologne in Germany. I went there in December to go to the famous Christmas markets and it was beautiful. It was snowing whilst I was there which just added to the festive feeling.

What about you?

See also, where would you love to go in the future?

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    My favourite would have to be Florida, for the Disney Parks and also swimming with dolphins at discovery cove

I also have a favourite place nearby called Burton Waters it is a marina full of nice boats and surrounded by restaurants and bars and nice little shops
  • Ross_Alumni
    I would love to visit Florida @janer1967, swimming with dolphins sounds amazing :) 

And Burton Waters also sounds lovely, do you go there often during normal times?

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    Yes the swimming with dolphins was always a dream of mine and it was as good as I expected

I have been to Burton Waters a few times is is about 40 miles away, last went in August for the weekend
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Durham Cathedral is a wonderful building for me and I love the site it’s on overlooking the river. Beautiful.
    Alnwick castle is brilliant too, lovely place.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Ross_Alumni
    edited September 2020
    Ah I'm delighted to hear that your dream was as good as you hoped @janer1967 :) 

Both of those do sound picture esque @leeCal, cathedrals and castles always seem to be beautiful places to visit.

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,366 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    I really liked Portugal. I have been to Spain which is nice but my experience is there are a lot of tourists and British expats there. Portugal is quite similar but less “touristy” and a lot more “authentic”, and has some beautiful scenery and beaches, especially along the Algarve region.
  • janer1967
    @66Mustang I agree Portugal is nice especially those custard tarts they do 

My favourite holiday destination is Cyprus lots of history and lots of modern too, would love to retire there
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Almost forgot, Snowdonia in North Wales is amazing, mountains, streams and waterfalls, wonderful countryside!

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Ross_Alumni
    North Wales is indeed amazing @leeCal, as is the majority of Wales.

Thanks for the suggestion @66Mustang, I've not been to Portugal but it sounds lovely based on what you say there.

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Venice! I went last summer and just fell in love with it. Such a beautiful and unique place.  <3
    Scope

• janer1967
    Has anyone been to the Italian lakes ?
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I haven't @janer1967, but I think my Mum has. I remember seeing some amazing photos
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    I spent 15 years of my working life on business trips to the Isle of Man and would love to go back just one last time after 23 years, trouble is for the two of us we can have a week in Spain for the price of 3 nights on the I.O.M
    But our favourite place for holidays is Los Gigantes on the island of Tenerife very laid back not commercial and 3 or 4 degrees warmer than the rest of the island.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• neuromum4
    neuromum4 Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    River Wye, used to do a lot of canoeing there when I was a lot younger.

Last year went on the Norfolk Broads for the first time and had one of the best holidays I've ever had. We had booked to go back this year and rented a holiday chalet with the free use of a day boat, but this was cancelled due to Covid. We have now re-booked for next year  around the same time, early June. Just hope the weather is the same as it was this year. I did take a camera with me, but on the way home when I realised I had not taken any photos as I was too busy enjoying myself.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    janer1967 said:
    Has anyone been to the Italian lakes ?                                                Bellagio, lake como...several times, fell in love with the place.
    Also lake garda, but didnt really like it there.
  • Ross_Alumni
    You know it's a lovely place when you completely forget to take photos @Geoark :) 

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    @Ross_Scope I was up early one morning, grabbed a coffee, went onto the deck to enjoy the early morning. Spent 30 minutes watching the ground mist rolling by and getting thinner. One evening the clouds were in a massive horse shoe shape. Over a period of time the evening light played in the clouds, going from yellow to a deep purple then finally shades of grey and black. In a way I'm glad  that I didn't think about taking photos, concentrating on small patches rather than the whole show.

Then again I never understand people who go to concerts or other events and want to watch it through a small phone screen rather than just enjoying what is unfolding before them.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    Probably for me the best place I have been is Hong Kong. It is very hard to describe with the old world nestled alongside the new. The skyscrapers can easily be described as the best in the world and very close to them is old China. I was working there for a while and travelled every morning on the ferries between the many islands along with Chinese workers who cooked their breakfast of rice and noodles while on the boat. I met many interesting people from all walks of life and surrounding countries.
    I was even caught in a typhoon and had to evacuate on the last ferry out from the island I was working on and along with my fellow workers ended up on what we believed to be mainland China. But not sure about where we were. Then had to get a taxi to hop from island to island to get back to Hong Kong island. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    That sounds like an amazing experience @Dragonslayer! I'm sure you have lots of stories to tell from your time working there
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness