Help please anyone — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help please anyone

samfits99
samfits99 Community member Posts: 155 Courageous
I need to pick my little girl up from school this Friday from school but they have put me on a late ..... I’m sick of my boss letting everyone else go see there kids early but when it’s me they don’t :( I’ve never had a day off work been there over 2 years as well .... got no one to collect her, what can I tell my boss ? any advice anyone. I just am sick of them taking the **** out of me now ! So anyone who is clued up on this let me no as I am going to work shortly. people in work all the time say to the boss got to leave early to get the kids from school ect ect I just don’t no what to say as I am too nice and soft and feel like there taking advantage of me now 
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi you can request time off for dependants this is allowed for emergency situations eg no childcare this is unpaid leave 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,350 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

How do you normally manage for child care or to pick her up from school when you're working?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Sam did you get this sorted? personally I'd just phone in sick on Friday morning.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• samfits99
    @woodbine my boss is in tomorrow Wednesday 23rd September off her holiday. I left a note on her desk to say I can’t work it as I have no one to look after my daughter. I only see her every 2 weeks :( 
  • samfits99
    @poppy123456 I only see my daughter every two weeks. I left a note on my boss desk so she can see it Wednesday morning just saying I can’t work on that day as I need to pick my daughter up from school. it just upsets me as so many in my work get early’s to work around there kids :( 
  • samfits99
    @janer1967 what can I say to my boss? I only see my little girl every other weekend and it’s causing too much trouble as I’m always working when I have her. My X said I’m not having this anymore and it’s making me get upset and down :( what can I tell my boss. My daughter said daddy please can you pick me up you never come it actually made me cry ? 
  • poppy123456
    I totally understand how upsetting this must be for you. As janer has advised you're entitled to upaid leave for childcare emergencies, i'm just not sure how much of an emergency this will be classed as, as your daughter doesn't live with you. Can you swop a shift with a work colleague?

I think if you rang in sick it could be a little obvious because you left a note on your bosses desk saying you can't work.

Do you have someone that can pick her up from school and look after her until you finish work?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    @samfits99 hope you get something sorted Sam.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi

In the long term you need to come to some agreement with work.  You know when you have your daughter so ask if they can be more flexible around this commitment and let you work an early shift 

As poppy said as she isnt in your permanent care time off for dependants wouldn't really apply 

I know it isnt a nice situation for you and your daughter but you need to sort out something that works for you all 

Can you not pick up your daughter later rather than from school for this once till you get it sorted 
  • poppy123456
    I don't really think it's your employers responsibility to arrange your shifts around having your daughter and i'm sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear. Would they agree to be flexible with your shifts even though your daughter isn't in your care permanently?

Speaking to her mother maybe an option. Maybe arranging to have your daughter when you're not working, or when you're working an earlier shift?

• KarenO_Scope
    KarenO_Scope Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
    @samfits99. I hope you managed to pick up your daughter last week. If you are finding it challenging to approach your manager about shift patterns, you could always make contact with your company's HR team. They should be able to provide you with information about parental leave for dependents and requests for changes in hours. When my eldest started school my husband put in a change of hours request which needed to be agreed by his manager. He doesn't work shifts but he managed to adjust his hours so he worked half an hour longer Mon-Thurs and he would be home in time to collect our son from school on a Friday. I hope you manage to find a solution.

Brightness