Hi, my name is derrick! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is derrick!

derrick
derrick Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
im am davud writing  this for my brother derrick as he has just had a stroke and has very bad mamory and speach he woundering if hes elligable for help from a pip payment 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

PIp is about ability to compkete daily tasks against the descriptors like preparing food, washing and bathing,  mobility, communicating and so on 

It isnt about a diagnosis 

To be eligible you need to have had the condition for 3 months and expect it to last at least 9 months 

People who have had strokes do claim but not everyone is affected the same 

There is lots info in our PIP section also read through the descriptors and see if you think your brother would qualify 

Good luck and ask away if you need further advice 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @derrick - it's great you've joined to try & help your brother. I'm sorry to read he's just had a stroke & how it's affected him. Does he live with you? :)
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @derrick / David! I've moved your post into our PIP category :) Different Strokes have written some information about PIP which you might find useful. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @derrick

Good Afternoon & Welcome.

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

I have also had a Stroke in 1998 at the age of 32.

We have got some good info on pip.

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/personal-independence-payment-pip/

Please please let me know if you need any further info???

@steve51
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,905 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    HI and welcome,

I note that you said he's "just" had a stroke, i'm sorry to hear that. For PIP, you must have had the conditions for at least 3 months and expect them to last at least a further 9 months. https://www.gov.uk/pip/eligibility

He must also be under state pension age to claim PIP. If he's over state pension age then it's attendance allowance.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.